Reports to: Senior Program Manager & Senior Engineering Manager (matrix management)
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Start Date: October-November, 2021
Who we are
D-tree International is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree collaborates with governments to demonstrate the effectiveness of digital systems, build the capacity of health workers, supervisors and leaders to use digital systems for health systems transformation, and accompany governments to scale these digital systems nationally.
D-tree has been a trusted digital health partner to the Malawi Ministry of Health (MoHP) since 2011, working with the MoHP and partners such as JSI, CRS, Jhpiego and Save the Children to improve the quality of integrated health service delivery through digital health systems for MNCH, family planning, and integrated management of childhood illness. We now have an exciting opportunity to lead the design, development and implementation of a digital health system to support service delivery, coordination of care and data generation for a large-scale USAID HIV prevention and treatment program. This system will be co-developed with partners and the Ministry of Health and Population, based on government-approved clinical and digital health guidelines, and aligned with the Principles for Digital Development and USAID regulations. We are now looking to hire a Software Engineer in Malawi to grow our digital expertise to configure and digital systems on multiple software platforms.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time Software Engineer to work closely with the Director of Digital Solutions and Engineering Manager to design, develop, test and maintain mobile applications (Android) and back ends D-tree is using to build digital systems. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring an individual with strong organization and communication skills as well as a solid background in professional Software Engineering.
You are someone who is always curious and an independent worker. You are just as comfortable learning new software platforms as you are working in a multidisciplinary team or meeting health workers in a village to understand the user experience. You have a passion for using technology to improve health systems. You are someone who can also clearly communicate about complex technical topics to non-technical audiences. You have worked as a software developer in multi- disciplinary teams, developing, deploying and maintaining moderately complex web and mobile applications.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to make our programs succeed. At D-tree we are trying to push the envelope regarding what is possible with digital health systems. We are working in environments with extreme constraints and are looking for people who are inspired by these challenges to come up with creative solutions. The following attributes are a general over-view, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
- Minimum 3 years work experience in a fast moving software development environment building Android applications (Java, Kotlin)
- Experience releasing applications to Google Play Store.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field demonstrating computer science or software engineering skills (e.g. IT, computer science, information systems)
- Excellent analytic skills; ability to think logically and rationally about problems
- Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Committed to solving some of the most pressing development challenges with an interdisciplinary and dedicated team
- Experience with Mobile HIS such as OpenSRP or DHIS2 (This is highly desired!)
- Experience with mobile health platforms or mobile data collection tools
- Experience with backend frameworks (node.js or java based), and document-based as well as relational database systems
To apply for this role please fill in this google form: https://forms.gle/8vZVpH19tKK2Db9m7
Only applicants who respond to all questions and include their CV and thoughtfully answer the questions will be considered.
Deadline for applications: Open until filled