Sightsavers implements projects in over 30 countries in Africa and South Asia working to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. We are looking for a Driver to work with the Finance & Support Service Manager in Malawi.
Job title: Driver
Contract length: 1 year and 11 months (depending on start date)
Job location : Malawi Country Officer
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions Apply
The purpose of the job is to provide logistical and general office logistical support in all areas, key among them driving staff in MCO office vehicles to various destinations, ensuring that vehicles are clean and road worthy and any other administrative duties as assigned by the line manager
1. Driving 70%
- Provide logistical support to Malawi Country office.
- Drive SSI staff and visitors for project visits in the program areas as required.
- Picking up visitors to the Malawi Country Office from the airport on arrival and dropping them off on departure.
- Undertake simple repairs and maintenance of organisational vehicles.
- Keep the vehicles clean, properly maintained and fuelled at the designated service stations
- Ensure that all trips undertaken and fuels filled are properly recorded in vehicle log books
- Prepare monthly vehicle reports for all vehicles and report all faults identified on vehicles to the Finance & Support Services Manager in good time.
- Develop and maintain a regular schedule of all vehicle service , insurance and inspection stickers
- Ensure that all accidents and incidents are documented and report shared with the immediate supervisor, Country Director and relevant government authorities.
2. Maintenance of Vehicles 30%
- Undertake administrative tasks and duties including running errands such as payment of bills, mail collection, delivery & distribution of letters and cashing of petty cash cheques
- In consultation with the FSSM, procure office supplies and equipments for MCO. This will include soliciting and analysing a minimum of 3 quotations.
- Stand in for the Receptionist when she is away by welcoming visitors and directing them to the appropriate offices and receiving and directing calls for MCO
- Receive & circulate in coming & outgoing mail
- In liaison with program officers distribute documents to partners.
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
- At least completion of secondary education
- Substantial working experience, in reputable private firm or NGO
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Clean and valid driving licence
- Minimum 3 years accident-free driving – free driving record with reputable private firm or NGO
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills (Both oral and written)
- Ability to work autonomously and with minimum supervision.
- Experience with working with the wider public and a person with disabilities
- Availability for emergency work on weekends and public holidays
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to travel at short notice – Plus, we would expect the following:
- Interpersonal and intercultural sensitivity
- High degree of integrity
- Active listener
We anticipate that remote interviews will take place from the 4 July 2022 onwards and the evaluation process will require a driving and eye test.
To apply for this exciting new opportunity, please complete an application via our recruitment portal. We are particularly interested in learning of your motivations for applying.
Due to project deadlines, we are keen to fill this role as quickly as possible so applications will be considered as soon as they are received.
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
Closing date: 26 June 2022