At Last Mile Health, we work to deploy a health worker for everyone, everywhere. Are you excited about working directly with the Government of Malawi to strengthen the community health system to ensure improved health outcomes for those living in remote, rural areas? If so, you may be the perfect fit for our Country Director position in Malawi, a critical hire to lead our evolving, and relatively new team.
The Lilongwe-based Country Director (CD) is responsible for stewarding all of LMH’s activities in Malawi. The CD oversees the delivery and attainment of LMH Malawi’s multi-year strategy and annual performance targets, which deliver against the organization’s Theory of Change . The CD is responsible for the implementation of robust policies and systems, and supports the wellbeing and performance of a committed team. The CD reports to the Chief Program Officer (CPO).
The CD is responsible for stewarding LMH’s institutional relationships with critical external stakeholders (including the Malawi Ministry of Health and LMH’s funding and program partners in Malawi) and business operations in-country. They will also support the Director of Programs to deliver against the Malawi program strategy. As Malawi is a relatively new country program, the CD will be expected to adapt and strengthen the country strategy as needed, to ensure we deliver funder commitments, whilst maximizing impact, aligned to the organization’s global strategy.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the implementation of the Malawi country strategy and work plan and liaise closely with partners, government, funding institutions, and health service delivery organizations.
- Ensure LMH strategic commitments to funders and the Ministry of Health are prioritized and executed.
- As the senior relationship manager with the Ministry of Health and in-country LMH partners, ensure that LMH has the authorization and other partnership support needed to conduct programs. Coach team members in maintaining these partnerships in support of overall program success.
- Serve as a liaison between global teams and the Malawi country program, managing annual planning and target setting processes under the auspices of LMH’s global planning and management rhythm
- With support from the Global People Operations team, foster an LMH Malawi team culture that reflects LMH’s values and supports the health and performance of a new and growing team
- Manage and provide coaching and professional development support to direct reports – the Director of Programs, the Operations and Finance Managers
- Monitor the health financing landscape to identify and pursue potential opportunities for funding that are aligned with LMH’s program vision and strategic goals
- Generate interest and engagement with LMH’s programs; leverage this interest and engagement to support business development and fundraising goals in line with the country strategy
- Support, where needed, on partner stewardship, donor visits, development of proposals, speaking engagements and grant agreements for Malawi-based programs in conjunction with the Partnerships & Communications and Program Strategy teams
- Serve as authorized signatory in Malawi, responsible (directly or via delegation) for all expense approval, regulatory compliance, and business management while serving as a champion for resource stewardship across the teams
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Health, International Affairs/Development, Public Policy/Public Administration or other relevant field
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience interfacing with senior government and NGO partners with a strong preference for health systems and health policy experience
- Strong relationship building and management skills
- Knowledge of financial and human resources management; experience owning significant budgets and leading staff teams
- Demonstrated ability to manage high stakes projects in complex environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Strong track record required for working effectively with range of stakeholders in the local context, including frontline health workers and national government agencies
- Significant team management and coaching background, with proven ability to rapidly build technical and non-technical skills among your team
- Commitment to health and social justice; gender equity
- Ability to work with remote teams and remote supervision
- Ability to work in a flexible and adaptable manner as part of a start-up initiative
You’ll Impress Us If
- You have previously served in a senior level position in Malawi
- You have relationships with relevant health and education sector partners in Malawi
- You have lead start-up programs within a global organization
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world’s most remote communities by partnering with governments to bring critical primary care services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization, and currently works in Liberia, Malawi, Ethiopia, Uganda, and Sierra Leone with US offices in Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status