Post Title: Program Officer – Part Time
Duty Station: MCM Secretariat based at Mtolankhani House
Duration: 6 months (renewable)
The Media Council of Malawi (MCM), registered under the Trustees Incorporation Act (CAP. 5:03) of the Laws of Malawi, is an independent, non-profit and non-political media self-regulating organization with a mandate to promote professionalism in the media industry by setting standards in the interest of the public in Malawi. The Council seeks to engage the services of a Program Officer to support programs, advocacy and other functions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Program Officer will be responsible for providing technical expertise and assistance to the MCM functions, working closely with media stakeholders on the functions and projects.
He/she will directly report to the Executive Director for functional and technical oversight, however, he/she will also operate in a matrix management model, where he/she will support different program pillars and have a dotted reporting line y to the committees of the Board.
This job presents a unique and significant opportunity for a qualified, vibrant, motivated and committed person to contribute to the overall achievement of transformative results for the media by delivering on the following key responsibility areas:
- Aid in the overall implementation of MCM’s Strategic Plan targeting various stakeholders.
- Support in programme planning, development, management and reporting in an effective way.
- Drive technical and operational support to multi-sectoral programme implementation with key stakeholders and partners.
- Build and strengthen networking with existing and new partners, including government and civil society organizations at national and international level.
- Promote innovative mechanisms with the media stakeholders to promote professionalism and sustainable operating systems.
- Promote knowledge management on media practices with key partners and stakeholders ensuring that regional and global priorities are also incorporated.
- Strengthen and build systems and capacities of relevant institutions with media self-regulation priorities.
- Strengthen and coordinate internal MCM work ensuring that a coherent professional approach is mainstreamed.
- Providing day-to-day support to the activities of the Secretariat
REQUIREMENTS AND KEY COMPETENCIES
The candidate must:
- Have a degree in Journalism, Communications, Arts, Information Communications Technology, or other related fields;
- Demonstrate skills in Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs)
- A minimum of five years of professional experience providing policy advice and programme support is required.
- Sound experience in proposal development and project management in different development contexts is required.
- Relevant experience in media programs is considered as an asset.
- Have written and spoken proficiency as well as good writing and editing skills in English
- Be a self-starter and able to work under pressure with minimum supervision
Knowledge and Technical skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the legal and regulatory frameworks for the media
- Understanding of media industry, policies, guidelines, legislation, and strategies is required.
- Understanding of Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming.
- Understanding of gender equality and diversity awareness is required.
- Fluency in English and one of the local languages, both strong written and verbal skills, is required.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Send your applications before 30th of October 2021 to:
The Executive Director, Media Council of Malawi, P.O Box 30463, Lilongwe.
Email: [email protected]