Job Title: Programme Officer
Location: Zomba, Malawi
Position N°: LA009ZA
Terms of Reference
This document outlines the terms of references that apply to the Program Officer – Education Support & Elderly Care interventions for Lydia Action. For over 21 years, Lydia Action formerly known as Lydia Foundation has been delivering solutions to different challenges in the most vulnerable communities to transform lives. Lydia Action is implementing the International European Baptist Mission (IEBM) project in the southeast region of the Baptist Convention of Malawi (BACOMA) focusing on 7 thematic areas: Elderly Care, Shelter and Rehabilitation, Nutritional Support, Women Empowerment, Spiritual Transformation, Educational Support and Emergency Response. Lydia Action is working with 48 support groups totaling to 211 volunteers and over 121 churches across the north and south east region in Malawi.
The following are the objectives of Lydia Action:
- To improve the livelihood of women by providing access to technical and financial opportunities to support their income generation activities.
- To empower children through educational support and provision of psycho-social needs.
- To provide women, children including other vulnerable people affected by sudden emergency onsets with the appropriate assistance.
- To empower young university students through skills development and non-profit management knowledge and experience
Under the overall responsibility and direct supervision of the South-East Regional Coordinator, the Program Officer – Education Support & Elderly care will provide technical assistance, coordinate, and, ensure effective and efficient implementation of Lydia Action’s Education Support and Elderly care interventions in the South-east Region of Malawi.
The officer will play a leading role in the planning, facilitation, monitoring and reporting of Education support and Elderly care activities at the regional level, supervising and coordinating program assistants and field-based extension workers as appropriate in realizing the programs’ outcomes. He will further support with reasonable financial and administrative tasks that enable the successful management of the two programmatic components.
Scope of work
The Education Support & Elderly Care Program Officer’s general duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Design and deliver education support and elderly care work plans in line with Lydia Action’s Results framework and wider education and elderly policies and guidance
- Prepare and monitor the programs’ work plans and budget, in compliance to Lydia Action policies and procedures
- Support in programme expansion within the region through close collaboration with new and existing district and community level stakeholders, in line with Lydia Action guidance on identification of impact areas and beneficiaries
- Support the capacity building of Lydia Action’s staff and working partners to prepare for and respond to educational support and elderly care needs and activities
- In liaison with the M&E officer, continuously monitor and supervise program activities, assessing progress through close teamwork with program assistant (s) and field-based extension workers
- Manage submission of reports and other data collection activities as required by the M&E officer.
- Develop and maintain a sound network with local councils and other stakeholder counterparts in matters related to the program at the regional level
- Always ensure confidentiality of beneficiary records and sensitive information gathered at the workplace
- Work closely with finance, administration, and Human Resource colleagues on reasonable support tasks such budgeting, managing liquidations, processing payments, incoming invoices and verifying receipts.
- Ensuring that the program assistant(s) and field extension workers responsible for output-based activities attend to their duties and have the necessary resources in time.
- In liaison with the M&E, verify that the program assistant (s) and the field extension workers have the right tools to support their work activities.
- Submitting activity budgets and plans to the regional coordinator on-time
- Communicate upcoming tasks to the regional coordinator on a weekly basis
- Track overdue activities and follow up with appropriate team members
- Arrange with government field officers and relevant partner personnel for coordination of field work two days before field visit.
- Support the Regional Coordinator with quarterly programme expenditure reports
- Minimum of a diploma in social work, community development or any other related qualifications.
- 2 – 4 years of experience in a similar position
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good in verbal and written English language
- Good communication, and facilitation skills
- Hard working, detailed oriented, and able to manage multi-task effectively
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
The program officer shall be based mainly in Zomba at the regional office. However, the program officer may be required to travel to the field to support monitoring, supervision, and implementation of activities in line with expected results defined by the project activity work plan and approved by the regional coordinator.
You are encouraged to submit your CV, Cover letter and certificates to [email protected] before 16 July 2021 (12:00pm). Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required certificates will be considered. Only applicants who fully meet Lydia Action’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
Lydia Action is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Lydia Action does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). Lydia action declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
Lydia Action takes seriously its policies on safeguarding women, children, employees and all people who our work touches. We will undertake robust formal and informal measures to undertake rigorous background checks on all applicants.