COOPI is looking for a Programme Manager in Malawi
COOPI is a leading humanitarian NGO that has been working in Malawi since 1999 , focusing on resilience building and DRR in the most vulnerable and flood/drought prone districts of the country. COOPI is currently implementing activities to support Disaster Risk Reduction and Early Warning activities in Nsanje and Chikwawa districts and leads a consortium of 5 iNGOs that is supporting the national Covid-19 Vaccination roll-out, with funding from ECHO.
Purpose of the role
- Support Coopi Malawi Country Team in successfully closing the ECHO funded project “*Support to at risk districts and communities in Malawi to prevent, rapidly detect and effectively respond to COVID-19*” in close collaboration and consultation with the HoM, ensuring good coordination with other iNGO partners and Malawi Gov’t Ministries and relevant development partners;
- Support Coopi Malawi Country Team in implementing the ECHO funded Project “*NGO Coalition – Supporting the rollout of Malawi’s COVID-19 national vaccination campaign*”;
- Support Coopi Malawi with the planning, development, drafting and submission of project proposals focusing on DRR, and to provide technical leadership – as COOPI representative – on the Disaster Risk Reduction / Disaster Preparedness part of the proposal;
- Coopi Malawi is strongly invested in building a strong and diversified DRR portfolio. Therefore, if additional funding becomes available, the present ToRs and related responsibilities will be updated and integrated.
- Identify DRR-related staffing needs to inform future recruitment;
- Oversee the implementation of COOPI Malawi DRR/DRM Portfolio;
- Provide coordination, supervision and technical backstopping in the design and implementation of DRR programs;
- Review/update/develop strategies for community mobilization in DRR actions;
- Represent Coopi, in collaboration with HoM, in relevant TWGs and meetings;
- Develop and implement Coopi Malawi DRR strategy, in line with Coopi’s DRR SOP;
- Ensure environmental and sustainability issues are adequately considered in programs’ design, in keeping with Coopi best practices and guidelines;
- Ensure that gender and protection issues are adequately considered in programs’ design, in keeping with Coopi best practices and guidelines.
In relation to ongoing and future projects
- Liaise and coordinate with the HoM on issues pertinent to the project;
- Ensure responsible and adequate management of human resources allocated to this project, to ensure that the staff promotes community participation and decisions in all projects strategies and implementation;
- Ensure close coordination and collaboration with all project iNGO partners, as well as Gov’t of Malawi counterparts and relevant international and national stakeholders;
- Provide overall DRR technical guidance to the consortium members in order to plan for implementation of activities and monitoring in line with program KPIs, budget and workplan;
- Attend to project meetings at field and national levels;
- Ensure the HoM is always up to speed with project developments, and ensure smooth and complete handover to HoM at the end of the working relationship with COOPI, in order to assure the success of the project.
Planning, developing, drafting and submission of new project proposals focusing on DRR
- Support the HoM in expanding and diversifying the DRR portfolio (projects, donors, partners) of Coopi in Malawi;
- Support the HoM in leading discussions and networking management with donors and other stakeholders, in order to establish priorities and planning;
- Support the country office in the following proposal development and drafting process for project proposals;
- Provide technical leadership, support and guidance in all the aspects of DRR proposals development process and negotiation.
- A minimum of 5 years’ working experience in the DRM sector , in managerial roles;
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of DRR programs;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Demonstrated experience in managing staff ;
- Demonstrated experience in proposal writing ;
- Excellent command of the English language;
- Willingness to travel and work in remote areas for extended periods;
- Strong teamwork, coordination and strategic planning skills;
- Research, analysis and excellent writing skills;
- Strong sensitivity to local cultures;
- Strong listening skills combined with excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural skills;
- Ability to respond practically and operate successfully in difficult field conditions;
- Ability to be flexible, persistent and diplomatic and to gain respect among staff, local community leaders as well as local government ministries and donor organizations.
- Strong sense of community building within the office as well as with partners;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision in a dynamic working environment and provide feedback tactfully;
- Strong planning ability needed to conduct activities with high level of detail several months in advance;
- Remains flexible and willing to provide assistance to staff as needed;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to keep track of complex work plans and deadlines for several projects simultaneously;
- Experienced with detailed implementation/weekly work planning.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.