Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the UNICEF Malawi ICT Specialist the UNV ICT Officer will:
Manage ICT function and provide technical and operational support:
- Ensure the deployment of new systems and maintenance of existing systems in the ICT infrastructure
- Safeguard the physical and logical security and safety of ICT environment and infrastructure.
- Monitor risks and threats to ICT environment or infrastructure and take appropriate action;
- Manage compliance and escalate exceptions (proactive) and deviations (reactive);
- Manage ICT-related communication materials internally, from Global Shared Services Centre (GSSC) or regional office.
- In conjunction with the ICT Specialist, liaise with regional office, GSSC Customer Care and ICTD to keep abreast of new initiatives and opportunities to innovate and modernize office operations and to contribute to the collective ICT evolution.
- Ensure the compliance with the host government regulatory requirements vis-à-vis the Basic Cooperation Agreement (BCA), i.e., data collection of sensitive information or personally identifiable information (PII), telecommunications licenses, use of specialized equipment, such as HF/VHF radios, satellite phones, VSATs, drones, etc…
Enhance governance, collaboration, build relationships and capacity:
- Assist in oversight, assessment and audit of vendors, counterparts and implementing partners
- Assist in the promotion of creativity and innovative thinking to re-engineer work processes and make the best use of technology within and outside UNICEF;
- Stay abreast of ICT trends, developments and best practices through professional development –journals, training, certification, etc….
Improve the delivery of results:
- Promote the use of collaboration tools for knowledge management, capacity building and preserving institutional memory.
- Lead the implementation and adoption of new application or platform like, ECM, conferencing and communication tools, general changes in ICT environment and facilitate training workshops or clinics.
- Share knowledge, experience; discuss opportunities and risks for the improved delivery of results.
- In conjunction with the ICT Specialist, promote creativity and innovative thinking to re-engineer work processes and make the best use of technology within and outside UNICEF.
- Assist in evaluation of innovation initiatives potential opportunities and possible risks to improve productivity, efficiency and effectiveness and share with ICT Specialist.
- Assist in supporting counterparts and implementing partners to implement approved innovation initiatives.
- First University degree or equivalent background, in computer science, information systems, or other relevant disciplines, with specialized training or appropriate experience in the fields broadly applicable to the job.
At least 5 years of professional work experience at the national level or 5 years of relevant professional work experience in ICT-Telecom area:
- Good and practical knowledge of Local Area Networking (LAN), Wireless Local Area Networking (WLAN) and relationship with the Wide Area Networking (WAN)
- Knowledge of cloud computing technologies, services and related platforms
- Knowledge of SharePoint will be an asset
- Competencies in ICT services management and End Users support
- Ability to prepare and conduct some trainings on the standard applications and ICT communication platforms and data management tools (Zoom, MS Teams, Power BI, MS Office (Word Excel PowerPoint etc))
- Experience in Telecom service deployment and management (Radio comm HF, VHF, Mobile satellite system and service) will be an asset
- Background/familiarity with Emergency and business continuity strategies will be good.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills