The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of two years. There are very good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Lilongwe, Malawi.
As Head of Programmes you will manage the donor portfolio for the Welthungerhilfe office in Malawi. You will monitor projects from a quality perspective and will lead a small group of coordinators and advisors in the areas of WASH, MEAL, Food Security and Nutrition, communications and partners coordination.
- Support operationalisation and implementation of Welthungerhilfe’s Malawi Multi-annual Country Strategy
- Support the development of sector strategies and the development of programs based on systems thinking in Food and Nutrition Security and WASH
- Further develop partnership cooperation and ensure active collaboration with partner organisations
- Strengthen the MEAL system, as well as communciation and visibility of Welthungerhilfe in Malawi and partners
- Manage and diversify donor portfolio (especially but not exclusively for German donors) and identify co-financing opportunities and lead proposal development
- Identify, examine and assess (pre-select) new project ideas
- Ensure the consideration of feasibility, sustainability and exit strategies of the projects
- Promote programme quality by integrating crosscutting issues like gender, climate change, etc.
- Contribute to a culture of learning within the organisation by supporting knowledge management, identifying synergies between projects and providing platforms for exchange
- Enhance networking with other INGOs, NGOs and development actors in Malawi, especially with Alliance 2015 partners
- Lead a team of technical advisors and provide strategic guidance on programming and partnerships
- A university or polytechnic degree in International Development, Rural Development or equivalent
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in programme development and implementation, ideally in the region
- Good at setting direction with a strategic mindset
- Experience with major donors (EU, BMZ, UN organizations, private foundations)
- Experience in managing local partners and MEAL activities
- Profound experience in programme design, proposal development, and donor reporting
- Theoretical background in systemic thinking (Food systems, WASH systems) is a plus
- Readiness to receive necessary vaccinations for traveling to Welthungerhilfe’s programme countries
- Excellent spoken and written English and German
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale.
Your contact person is Ina Stepka. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.