Trócaire works in partnership with local and church organisations, supporting communities in over 20 developing countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East to bring about lasting change. Trócaire envisages a just and peaceful world where; people’s dignity is ensured and rights are respected; basic needs are met and resources are shared equitably; people have control over their own lives; those in power act for the common good.
This post is situated within the Programme Impact and Learning (PIL) Team in Trócaire. The unit works across countries and HQ teams to:
• Strengthen Programme Cycle Management (PCM) and Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) practices within projects and programmes in Ireland and Internationally.
• Support increased accountability to communities within programmes and projects, with a particular focus on strengthening community participation and ownership at every stage of the programme cycle.
• Leverage the responsible use of technology to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Trócaire programmes.
The Digital MEAL & Programme Advisor is an exciting new global role to support the development and roll-out of a standardised approach to use of technology in Trócaire’s international programmes. It builds on organisational learning and pilots from a number of programme countries over the past few years. The Advisor will play a leading role in enabling Trócaire to leverage technology to improve the quality and efficiency of its MEAL systems and processes and support adoption of new technology in Trócaire’s programmes.
The post holder will support the full digital life cycle – from the initial decision-making on digital set up, responsible data management, training and accompaniment of staff, survey design, data use and management. The Advisor will work with global and country-based MEAL and Programme Advisors to improve the use of data-driven processes through the programme lifecycle.
The scope of work extends to ICT for efficiency and effectiveness, to embed quality digital data systems and processes across Trócaire’s International programmes, and supports best practice in relation to collection, management and use of data, and ICT for impact as outlined below.
The primary responsibility of the Advisor will be to support digital MEAL however she/he will be expected to support some non-digital MEAL and PCM activities on occasion, as agreed with the Head of PIL.
While the Advisor will be based and managed in the Programme Impact and Learning (PIL) team and will work closely with the Digital Data in Programmes Advisor, the Global MEAL Advisors, she/he will also work cross-organisationally in particular with the IT and Enterprise Systems Development team, the Humanitarian and Programmes team as well as the ICT in Programmes Steering Committee.
Collaboration with HQ and country-based colleagues and with partners, both remotely and through field visits, is key to the success of this role.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Reporting to Head of Programme Impact and Learning, this is a Fixed Term Contact for three years and will be based either in Trócaire’s Head Office in Maynooth or in one of Trócaire’s country offices with frequent travel to other country programmes and to Maynooth.
 The successful candidate must have valid permission to work and reside in Ireland or the country in which the Trócaire office is located.
Safeguarding Programme Participants-Children & Adults Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding people within our programmes from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Digital in MEAL (60%)
· Scale up and support ongoing implementation, including refresher trainings, to country colleagues and Trócaire partners on Trócaire’s preferred data collection software, CommCare
· Provide ongoing support to country colleagues and Trócaire partners on survey design, training on data collection and analysis using CommCare.
· Provide targeted support in development and implementation of training for data collection and data visualization
· Document case studies on various use cases and lessons learned
· Establish processes to gather periodic feedback, monitor usage, track support requests and close out of projects in CommCare
· Promote the use of CommCare within Trócaire’s development and humanitarian programmes to relevant internal stakeholders, including through staff induction
· Working closely with the Data Protection Steering Group – provide training and ongoing technical support to country teams and partners on data protection and ethical use of data
Digital in Programmes (20%)
· Support/implement coordinated learning pilots for emerging and innovative use of technology in our work
· Support targeted training and adoption of technology for cash programming in relevant Trócaire projects and programmes
· Support testing, scale up of technology for case management in new areas of work such as patient record management, feedback and complaints handling mechanism
· Be creative in supporting the development of practical ICT approaches to Trócaire’s rights-based approach to programming
· Develop processes to manage the adoption of new technology and solutions within country offices
· Provide advice and support for funding applications and proposals as required on areas of innovation and technology for MEAL and programme impact.
Collaboration, Teamwork and Networking (20%)
· Work collaboratively with colleagues within the Programme Impact & Learning team to deliver on team objectives, including supporting the Global MEAL Advisors to test and roll out global MEAL resources
· Provide MEAL surge support to country teams when needed, as agreed with Head of PIL
· Induct new staff into the function of the PIL team and Trócaire’s approaches in use of technology for programme quality, PCM and MEAL.
· Work closely with colleagues across the organisation to progress common agendas linked to digital, technology, programme quality and MEAL.
· Engage in organisational and divisional initiatives which promote collaboration and positive working practices, e.g., divisional planning days, Great Places to Work etc.
· As required, represent Trócaire externally on strategic issues e.g., to donors, within civil society networks, at conferences, and in inter-organisational working groups – NetHope, ICT4D Conference, MERL Tech, Dóchas (Ireland), Bond (UK), CIDSE (EU).
Behavioural Competencies in Line with Trócaire’s Competency Framework
• Leading: Reflecting our values of Participation & Accountability, acts to inspire and lead others to achieve their potential, demonstrating Trócaire’s values with integrity in order to achieve our organisation’s objectives.
• Communicating: Reflecting our value of Participation, being one organisation, communicating clearly and transparently across, teams, units, divisions, locations and other external organisations. Getting our message across with impact.
• Collaborating: Reflecting our values of Participation & Solidarity, partnering effectively as One Trócaire organisation and, in solidarity, maintains positive relationships built on trust and respect.
• Stewardship of Resources: Reflecting our value of Accountability and decision-making around the best use of resources. Using our resources transparently, sustainably, ethically, fairly & with integrity; acknowledging Trócaire’s reputation in the use of resources.
• Delivering Results: Reflecting our values of Accountability & Perseverance, getting a quality job done through effective performance, planning and decision making.
• Continual Improvement & Learning: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, constantly looking to learn and develop self, employees, and partners to better fulfil Trócaire’s’ mission.
• Flexibility & Change: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, adapts positively to change and to different ways of doing things; manages or takes part in change processes in a way that is appropriate to role in the organisation.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
(E) Qualification • Degree in a relevant area for this role
(E) Experience • At least five years subject matter expertise with experience working in an international NGO environment in areas such as project design, strategy development, digital rights and Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D) related initiatives.
• Experience in leading digital/technology/ICT4D initiatives.
• Experience with mobile data collection software, preferably CommCare or similar software.
• Experience of implementing results-focused monitoring, evaluation and learning systems and key MEAL activities, e.g., baselines, reviews, evaluations etc.
• Experience in designing data collection activities and assisting colleagues to design data collection activities – selecting indicators, designing questionnaires, setting up sampling frames (random and non-random samples).
• Experience in providing guidance and often direct bilateral support to colleagues in relevant activities, such as data collection, data analysis, data synthesis, report writing.
• Experience developing and/or leading user trainings on digital technologies; communicating complex ideas in a simple way to users having various levels of digital literacy.
(E) Skills • A thorough understanding of programme cycle management and results-based management in the development and humanitarian sectors.
• A strong understanding of best practice in the field of planning, monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment.
• Excellent training and facilitation skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills.
• Excellent English written, verbal, and communication skills.
• Excellent data presentation and report writing skills
(E) Qualities • Ability to build credibility, work with, and influence a variety of colleagues in the development and implementation of systems and processes.
• An understanding of and empathy with the ethos and values of Trócaire as a Catholic Church agency
(E) Other • Ability and willingness to travel to Trócaire programmes on a regular basis (approx. 4-5 trips per year of two weeks duration).
Person Specification – Desirable
(D) Qualification • A research-focused post-graduate qualification, preferably in an international development or technology related discipline.
• Train the trainer or related certification
(D) Experience • Experience with data visualisation software such as PowerBI, Tableau or similar
• Experience of working with M&E Frameworks/Results Frameworks/ Logical Frameworks across different donors.
• Experience of working with partnership agencies in an overseas development context.
(D) Skills • Knowledge of French and/or Spanish desirable
How to apply
Please click on https://apply.workable.com/trocaire/j/B23FC98E3A/ and complete the application form
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com .