TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
The United States Agency for International Development in Malawi (USAID/Malawi) is seeking applications for a cooperative agreement from qualified entities to implement the program. The Restoring Fisheries for Sustainable Livelihoods in Lake Malawi (REFRESH Lake Malawi) activity is a fisheries restoration intervention in Malawi to foster ecosystem based and participatory fisheries management in Lake Malawi. The purpose of the REFRESH activity is to conserve the freshwater biodiversity of Lake Malawi by restoring the natural fisheries productivity in the lakeshore districts of Karonga, Rumphi, Likoma, Nkhata Bay, Nkhotakota, Salima, Dedza and Mangochi. Its sub-purposes are: a) the targeted Lake Malawi aquatic habitats are healthy and well-managed; b) the endemic fish populations of targeted parts of Lake Malawi are healthy and self-sustaining; and c) the fisheries in the targeted parts of Lake Malawi are managed sustainably by 2024.
The REFRESH activity will aim to achieve the following outcomes:
Outcome 1 – Fisheries governance and regulatory framework strengthened;
Outcome 2 – Ecosystem-based fisheries management improved;
Outcome 3 – Decentralization of fisheries management strengthened;
Outcome 4 – Commercialization of conservation enterprises to counter unsustainable fishing catalyzed and supported; and
Outcome 5 – CDCS priorities for integration advanced.
TechnoServe is seeking a seasoned Conservation Enterprise Development Specialist to lead Outcome 4 component of the project.
Conservation Enterprise Development Specialist –will be one of the subject matter specialists as an advisor to the DCOP on the following technical areas:
- Conservation enterprise development and livelihoods;
- Investment development and networking;
- Business and entrepreneurship development; and
- Business innovation and research.
In addition, the candidate should have a proven track record in effectively managing and directing enterprise development activities with a focus on their area of expertise. The incumbent must lead the activities under Outcome 4: Commercialization of conservation enterprises to counter unsustainable fishing catalyzed and supported.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
The Conservation Enterprise Development Specialist must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- A Master’s degree or higher in one of the following fields: business administration and/or biodiversity conservation, business and enterprise development, public administration.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated technical expertise, with substantial developing country
- Experience in development and implementation of innovative strategies within their subject areas and experience and expertise to effectively provide technical assistance and oversee the design and implementation of conservation enterprise activities
- Ability to organize and conduct business and product development trainings and technical workshops.
- Experience and skills necessary for facilitating business development and networking; market research and negotiating sustainable financing mechanisms for district councils and other beach village committees, or commercial fishers and others.
- Proven track record of working on design of commercially viable enterprises which are self- sustaining and thorough understanding of the trade and business regulatory frameworks and public private partnership processes.
- A thorough understanding of issues relating to local discourse on tourism development, cultural heritage, and potential natural resources based enterprises along the lakeshore districts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
- Malawian citizenship is preferred
Closing Date: 2 nd August 2021
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com .