WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development
Position title: Communications Officer
Position location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Reports to: Team Leader
Duration: 35 months
Application deadline: December 20th, 2021
Pre-incubation, incubation and post incubation support to TEVET graduates and MSEs (potential and existing) in Malawi
The objective of the assignment is to devise a suitable technical support package comprising of tailored services to be delivered to existing incubators in Malawi, to existing BDS service providers, and to existing and potential entrepreneurs for business incubation to effectively be actioned. This project is funded as part of the Entrepreneurship and Access to Finance (a six-year effort) component of United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) Private Sector Development Programme (PSDP) II (2020-2023) in Malawi.
Nature and Scope:
The Communications Officer will provide communications and marketing expertise to the PSD programme by creating and disseminating communications materials for external audiences and supporting the development of communications strategies for the program.
The duties and responsibilities of the Communications Officer include:
- Provide communications support to the newly created BDS umbrella body set-up, the Titukulane Trust
- Create and maintain a website for the program;
- Create and maintain a twitter and other social media accounts and keep them active and updated;
- Ensure effective communication of opportunities, events, and success stories to a wider audience, ensuring that there is sufficient knowledge amongst potential entrepreneurs and intermediary service providers (BDS, BIs, Financial Service Providers);
- Help to produce a series of networking labs to support business creation and ideas for market entry opportunities;
- Create blogs, podcasts, videos and pull-out stories to document successful ideas reaching the market and growing start-ups;
- Design and disseminate a newsletter every semester with updated content, to be distributed electronically to key players operating in the entrepreneurial space
- At least post-graduate degree in the field of marketing and/or communication
- At least 6 years of experience related to private sector development and ability to engage with private sector players.
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of 6 years of experience on creating, packaging and distributing communication products for different external audiences (videos, fact sheets, social media, web updates).
- Proficiency with media and social media software, applications and communication tools
Interested candidates should submit an application to
by 12 noon on December 20th, 2021.
Candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter which details why they are an ideal candidate (qualifications and experience).Please indicate “Communications Officer” in the subject line.
Kindly note this employment opportunity is subject to an anticipated contract. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.