MUST would like to engage a suitably qualified and experienced person to fill the above position tenable
in the Bingu School of Culture and Heritage (BISCH). This post offers the chance to be a part of the history of training well-rounded, relevant, entrepreneurial, and creative graduates to enhance the creative economy. It also offers a chance at doing serious research in the music sector. Additionally, it is a platform for the creation of creative and relevant technologies to address the challenges of the Malawi music industry, while offering a solid career pathway in academia and in the music discipline.
The University is looking for candidates with a proven track record of commitment, excellence in teaching, research and resource mobilization.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The main purpose for the position is to teach at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
The core elements of the job are as follows:
a. Teaching and devising best learning approaches for students.
b. Assisting students’ academic work and doing students’ supervision.
c. Carrying out research, consultancy and outreach activities.
d. Scholarly publishing.
e. Participating in curriculum development and/or curriculum revision.
f. Providing academic guidance to students.
g. Senior academics are expected to mentor the new and junior generation of academics.
QUALIFICATIONS, ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
Interested candidates should possess the following attributes:
Candidates must be those with strong knowledge in Musicology, combined with a broad subject
background enabling contribution to teaching and research in music.
Specific knowledge and competencies required for the position include:
• Playing of brass, classic piano, woodwind and string instruments
• Conducting, composition, and arrangement
Candidates must have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Those with proven record of ability to attract funding, conduct high quality research which is reflected in the authorship of high quality publications, or other research outputs in music fields, shall have added advantage.
The following additional skills are desirable:
• Team work
• Ability to conduct interdisciplinary research
• Military/symphonic band arrangement.
Candidates must have ability to work collaboratively.
• PhD/MA in Orchestration.
• 3 years’ experience in a relevant music environment.
e. Previous Experience
• Research expertise and experience in the music field.
• Teaching and assessment of students work at undergraduate or postgraduate level at tertiary education institutions.
• Proven experience in curriculum development in music, within a university setting.
• Ability to attract funding.
• Engagement with scholarly/professional community.
• Ability to mentor students.
• Participation in community engagement activities.
• Experience in supervision of both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
• Track record of scholarly publications in recognized peer reviewed journals.
f. Personal Qualities
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate large courses, prepare and deliver programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Demonstrated ability to prepare curriculum and program materials and ability to implement
innovative approaches to student-centred learning and quality improvement.
- Ability to manage a large program or a number of small programs.
Demonstrated ability to support student issues related to effective learning, including student
internships and liaison with industry to increase student-industry engagement.
Extensive experience in research leadership with the ability to build and develop collaborative
teams, mentor academic staff to deliver high quality outcomes, attract and secure external research
funding to sustain research effort and manage funded research projects including complex budgets and reporting requirements.
Extensive experience in supervising higher degree by research candidates to maximise research
Demonstrated ability to manage an academic degree team, supporting scholarly development of
less experienced academic staff.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to financial, governance and quality management systems within the university.
- Demonstrated high level of interpersonal, communication and negotiating skills including ability to consult with senior executives, external bodies, produce executive reports, negotiate agreed directions, outcomes and targets within a collaborative environment.
Emerging nationally recognised research track record including substantial record of research
outputs in high quality outlets.
Willingness to be committed to the Vision and Mission of the Malawi University of Science and Technology.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications and attributes should submit their applications, together with up-to-date Curriculum Vitae plus copies of their academic qualifications, professional qualifications and copies of registration certificates with relevant regulatory bodies (where applicable) not later than 30thMay, 2021. The curriculum vitae must include the following: the candidate’s names in full; date of birth; academic qualifications; work experience; and names and e-mail addresses of three traceable referees.
Applications must be submitted to:
All electronic applications must be duly signed. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.