Mzuzu University is Malawi’s Second Public University established under the Laws of Malawi Cap 30:09, Mzuzu University Act No. 12 of 1997. The University is a dual mode public institution and hence has face-to face and open, distance and e-learning (ODeL) students. Mzuzu University also offers some of its programmes on block, week-end and vacation releases and through collaborations with international partners.
The University invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant position:
A. Directorate of Research
Vacancy No. 1: Grants Officer
The Grants Officer is responsible for providing operational and programmatic support to the Research and Consultancy Unit in particular and other Projects Staff where necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing mapping strategies for potential partners, donors, local and international actors and Government bodies within Mzuzu University’s operational areas;
- Supporting preparation and formatting of documents such as proposals for research and consultancies, agreements and sub-agreements, supporting documents and MoUs and keeping a clear track of all the agreements between Mzuzu University and its partners;
- Serving as a focal point to follow-up of approval and signing of MoUs and Sub-agreements with potential partners, donors and local authorities;
- Building and developing relationships with current and potential partners;
- Ensuring the right documentation of MOUs and communication is shared with the concerned staff concerning issues related to MOUs and partnerships;
- Maintaining, updating and monitoring projects and proposal tracker on project MOU deadlines and communicate these to relevant staff;
- Ensuring adherence to Mzuzu University policies and donor requirements;
- Developing annual activity and work plans;
- Assisting in developing, managing and monitoring budget(s);
- Contributing to promotion and scaling up of best practices;
- Preparing monthly activity/project reports as required
- Ensuring proper filing of all project documents both in hard and soft copies;
- Assisting in provision of necessary project documents and materials to program and other staff; and
- Any other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Business Administration or equivalent obtained from a reputable and accredited institution of higher learning. Candidates with a relevant Master’s degree will have an added advantage;
- Minimum three (3) years related work experience;
- Experience in partnership management including capacity assessment and monitoring; and
- Ability to use Logical Framework Approach as a tool in project/programme design and follow-up.
Competencies and Skills
(i) Political and cultural awareness;
(ii) Managing resources to optimize results
(iii) Strategic thinking;
(iv) Planning and delivering results;
(v) Communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills;
(vi) Strong analytical skills and excellent written and oral communication skills;
(vii) Proficiency with software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and analytic softwares; and
(viii) Documented skills in formulation of program/project proposals and reports and agreements.
Mode of Application
The application should include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV), copies of academic and professional qualifications as well as the names and contact details of three traceable referees. The job title should be indicated on the envelope and sent to:
Private Bag 201
Or Electronic Submission:
Electronic submission of the application should be sent as attachments in PDF or MS Word format to [email protected] . The subject line of the application should show the position being applied for. To reach the University not later than Friday, 13th August 2021. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged. Female candidates are encouraged to apply