KAMUZU UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
The Kamuzu University of Health Sciences (KUHeS) is a new University formed by the merging of the College of Medicine and the Kamuzu College of Nursing, and established by an Act of Parliament (No: 20 of 2019). It is a Health and Allied Science University that intends to educate, and graduate excellent health professionals that are globally competent but locally relevant.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified, competent, dynamic and visionary individuals to fill the position of Vice-Chancellor of the Kamuzu University of Health Sciences. The successful applicant should be a transformative leader with a proven track record of advancing innovative and inter-professional education and collaborative practice in developing health professionals. As a Chief Executive Officer of the University, the Vice-Chancellor will be accountable to the Council of KUHeS and will be expected to lead the University in realizing its vision of becoming a world class, innovative University committed to scholarly and professional excellence in the provision of health education, research and services in Malawi and globally.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Leadership and Management
- Provide innovative leadership geared at the furtherance of the mission and objectives of KUHeS,
- Lead the development, monitoring and reviewing of policies, strategies. programmes and plans.
- Ensure efficient, effective and economic utilization of resources;
- Enforce compliance to statutory and other regulatory requirements;
- Set and monitor the implementation of institutional standards so that the quality of KUHeS and its graduates, is consistent with local, regional and international expectations.
- Chair relevant University Committees as provided by legislation or as assigned by Council,
- Provide regular reports and updates to the Chancellor and Council on pertinent matters affecting the University Team Leadership
- Supervise senior leadership teams of KUHeS;
- Promote a participatory collegial decision – making approach within the University;
- Champion an accountability culture by implementing appropriate Performance Management Systems,
- Establish a conducive environment for nurturing a culture of excellence and professional development in all staff;
- Develop a code of ethics for the KUHeS community;
- Foster the development. review and implementation of innovative and creative curricula
Resource Mobilization, Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Generate financial and other resources to sustain and improve operations of KUHeS,
- Lead in the development and implementation of the University’s business and marketing strategies,
- Explore and facilitate alternative teaching and learning avenues to widen access to quality higher education;
- Put in place strong financial accountability and procurement systems in line with existing laws and regulations to maintain partners’ confidence.
- Represent KUHeS on external bodies within and outside Malawi;
- Develop and maintain partnership with Government, the public and private sectors, civil society, development partners and international organisations.
- A Doctorate Degree from an institution accredited or recognized under the National Council of Higher Education Act;
- At least 10 years’ experience in a senior management position in an academic institution;
- Demonstrable leadership and management skills
- Decision making: a good balance between consultative and decisiveness;
- Entrepreneurial: experience of developing business models, achieving a good balance between risks and success.
- Lead change: capable of leading and overseeing the development of structures. systems, processes and procedures of the University;
- Impactful: astuteness, able to get buy-in from the KUHeS community and other stakeholders. balance stakeholders priorities with a focus on delivering results,
- Ability to work with health professionals from a wide range of disciplines;
- Adaptability: able to balance the short-term and long term perspectives, identifies early signals and adapts proactively:
- Reliability. consistently delivering and following through on agreed commitments;
- Effective communication: clearly communicates, balances soft skills and decisiveness, effective ambassador of KUHeS.
The post of Vice-Chancellor of the University is open to any qualified Malawian or international candidate. It is offered on a contract basis for 5 years in the first instance and may be renewed based on performance and success in a competitive interview process
KUHeS is an equal opportunity employer and therefore encourages applications from qualified men, women and persons living with disabilities.
The post comes with a highly competitive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the University’s existing structure of benefits.
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, vision statement and names and contact details of three traceable Professional referees. Shortlisting of candidates by Council will be based on the quality of these documents which should be submitted to:
The Chairman of Council
Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
Private Bag 360
Email: [email protected]
Applications should be received by 20th November, 2021