Jhpiego seeks a Technical Director to provide technical leadership and oversight for an upcoming five-year U.S. government funded integrated technical assistance project. This project aims to accelerate reductions in maternal, newborn, and child mortality and morbidity by increasing the capacity of the Government of Malawi institutions and local organizations to introduce, deliver, scale up, and sustain the use of evidence-based, quality maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH) services, voluntary family planning (FP), and reproductive health (RH) care.
The position will lead design and day-to-day management of technical assistance efforts to improve capacity of the Government of Malawi to deliver quality reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, adolescent health services at the facility and community level. The Technical Director will work closely with technical implementation teams to ensure the project progresses towards expected results. S/he will also work with M&E staff to ensure project deliverables are monitored and course corrections are identified and implemented as appropriate. Other key responsibilities include supervising technical staff and adjusting project activities based on district level data.
This position is contingent upon award from USAID. Malawian nationals strongly encouraged to apply.
Technical Leadership and Oversight
- Provide technical leadership and strategic direction for the project’s technical assistance efforts, ensuring the integration, quality and sustainability of interventions
- Provide day-to-day technical oversight for design, planning and implementation of activities in support of project goals and objectives
- Establish and implement a system to ensure technical quality and fidelity across target provinces and districts
- Collaborate closely with Team Leads and Technical Advisors to ensure harmonization of project approaches across technical and geographical areas
- Track measures for climate and environmental risks in the Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP) and ensure their integration in work plans, budgets, and MEL plan
Development and Implementation of Technical Approaches
- Provide technical leadership to the development of the project strategic plan, work plan, and project monitoring, in close collaboration with MOH, USAID and other stakeholders
- Work closely with the Chief of Party on setting project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts
- Identify appropriate facility and community-based strategies and lead the formulation of innovative approaches to address reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health, WASH, and nutrition service delivery gaps.
- Oversee efforts to provide mentoring and capacity building at the individual and district level in reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health, WASH and nutrition servicesas well as health system strengthening
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Work with M&E staff to design, implement a plan to track data/results related to reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child service delivery to inform adjustments in project implementation
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results to the project and donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested
- Author/co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences
Stakeholder Engagement and Collaboration
- Foster and maintain excellent relationships with USAID and in-country stakeholders as a representative of the project, and develop rapid responses to requests
- Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners, especially the Ministry of Health and other implementing partners, to ensure that all activities conform to requirements and regulations
- Facilitate the project team’s relationship with designated counterparts at USAID, the Ministry of Health at both provincial and districts levels,private sector partners and other key stakeholders in Malawi such as NGOs and CSOs, to ensure effective technical assistance
- Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing Jhpiego
- Supervise technical staff and build, mentor, and manage a team of highly qualified staff to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Manage technical contributions of subgrantees, including defining scopes of work
- A Clinical Degree (doctor or nursing), and Master of Public Health preferred
- Minimum 10 years’ experience which included both implementation and technical assistance of integrated reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health service delivery projects in Malawi or sub-Saharan Africa. Preference for experience which also included adolescent health, nutrition and WASH.
- Proficiency in implementing quality improvement activities at facility and community levels
- Skilled in building capacity of individuals and organizations
- In-depth understanding of Malawian healthcare system, particularly the public health system
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Familiarity with USAID’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including TEAMS and PowerBi
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally 30-50%
To apply for this job please visit jobs-jhpiego.icims.com .