Who w e a re
Girl Effect is an international non-profit that builds media that girls want, trust and need.
From chat-bots to chat-shows and TV dramas to tech, our content is reaching millions of girls in Africa and Asia to make choices and changes in their lives. Igniting their confidence to act differently at a time that can define their future.
We create safe spaces for girls, sharing facts, and answering questions about health, nutrition, education, relationships and so much more. And we use innovative technology so we can reach girls at scale. We arm girls with the skills to negotiate and redefine what they are told is possible, so every girl can choose to be in control of her body, her health, her learning and livelihood.
When a girl unlocks her power to make different choices that change her life, it inspires others to do so too. She starts a ripple effect that impacts her family, her community, her country. That’s the Girl Effect.
Context of the r ole
Girl Effect has big ambitions to deliver significant change for adolescent girls around the world. To achieve our goals, we need to develop innovative programming and create partnerships with a wide variety of organizations, including Foundations.
The Senior Manager, Program Innovation and Partnerships will work within the Partnerships team, and in close collaboration with the Creative, Programs and Impact teams, to lead the design process towards the development of high-quality, innovative programs for adolescent girls and young women across Africa and Asia using social behavior change communications via media and digital tools that take girls on a journey from awareness to intention to action around health, education and livelihood. They will play a lead role in developing proposals for Foundations and other organizations that align with Girl Effect’s mission.
Critical for success will be an ability to share the work of Girl Effect through compelling, sophisticated and technically excellent pitch decks, proposals and funding bids. An understanding of adolescent girls and young women, social behavior change communications and/or sexual and reproductive health rights will be beneficial. The role holder will design programs that are aligned to Girl Effect’s strategy and strategic initiatives, with a cross-cultural awareness. In addition to leading the program design process and partnership development/management of Foundations, they will support knowledge management efforts to gather evidence on best practices and lessons learned to improve future programming.
The Senior Manager, Program Innovation and Partnerships reports to the Head of Strategic Partnerships and Innovation and is part of the organization’s partnerships team. They will work closely and collaboratively with the create, programs and impact teams, the country teams, the marketing and communications team, and other external stakeholders.
What you will do
As our Senior Manager, Program Innovation and Partnerships you will engage in the following activities:
- Program design – connect internal and external stakeholders for information exchange, developing partnerships and designing girl-centered programming (health, education, economic empowerment) to achieve impact; lead on concept design and proposal development with a focus on Foundations
- New business development – identify, broker and win new funding and program partnerships to leverage Girl Effect’s ability to create change for girls; working with country and global technical leads.
- Partnership management – serve as relationship lead on major partner accounts; work cross-organizationally to support successful implementation and delivery of partnership programs; internal and external stakeholder management
- External representation – position Girl Effect within key sectors of interest through external representation, positioning the organization as a thought leader and go-to partner for girl-programming, building consortia and new business opportunities.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working with our program, create and impact teams, and girls themselves, to design girl-centered social behavior change communications programs around health, education and economic empowerment in South Asia and Africa using youth brands, digital tools and media.
- Develop/maintain relationships with Foundations across the sector that work with gender equality, sexual and reproductive health rights, economic empowerment, etc.
- Support the development of, and write, concept notes and proposals for Foundation/Institution funding opportunities.
- Develop pitch decks, reports and other promotional materials for Foundation/Institutional donors.
- Lead the development and implementation of prospect plans, keeping abreast of the sector trends to maximize opportunities for the organization.
- Oversee and coordinate all institutional (foundation/private institution) partnerships and monitor across teams and ensure that regular reports and key metrics/results are shared with leadership. Facilitate the development of donor reporting.
- Monitors narrative and financial reporting requirements in collaboration with program and finance staff and coordinates preparation of reports for timely submission to donors.
- Provides technical assistance and performs spot checks to verify compliance with donor rules and regulations.
- Assess and advise when donor contractual obligations may not be met and make recommendations to mitigate risks.
- Liaises closely with the Finance department to gather invoice documentation and ensure proper spending and tracking of all grant funding, including the charging of expenses to specific grants as activities are carried out.
- Negotiate grants and contracts and monitor grant and contract fulfillment.
- Engage in strategic networking to expand the organization’s positioning and enhance the organization’s image and visibility.
Who y ou a re
- You are a true people person with an outgoing nature. You are a self starter driven by results.
- You have a wealth of experience designing and/or managing global development programs and proven record of success securing funding from Foundations such as The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Hewlett Foundation, Packard Foundation and others.
- You have previous experience designing programs for bilateral, multilateral or foundation/private donors – bonus points for girl-centered programming using digital and media around social behavior change communications, sexual and reproductive health rights, economic empowerment, education
- You build and maintain long-lasting relationships.
- You establish good working relationships across the organization and with external stakeholders.
- You have excellent writing and speaking skills and use them to compel individuals to action.
- You are organized, prepared, detail-oriented and follow through on promises.
- You are able to collaborate across departments globally and across cultures.
- You are willing to roll up your sleeves and jump into projects from inception to completion.
- You are culturally aware and respectful – curious and sensitive about the cultures in which we operate.
What e lse y ou s hould k now
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
Girl Effect is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all those we work with and for, especially children and young people. We expect all team members to share this commitment, uphold standards in our safeguarding policy and our code of conduct. In particular:
- To take reasonable steps to prevent any harm caused by Girl Effect
- To report any safeguarding concerns through the reporting pathways
This role is being recruited on a 12-month fixed term contract basis.
This role is subject to a standard/ enhanced background check.
Application closing date – 12 th November 2021
To apply for this job please visit global.girleffect.org .