EnCompass seeks (Senior) Evaluation Specialist candidates for an anticipated five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID) monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) program in Malawi – USAID Malawi Learn to Perform (L2P) Activity. This anticipated project will provide USAID/Malawi with services focused on supporting and facilitating USAID’s capacity to utilize MEL approaches in service of improving development outcomes, and on strengthening the organizational capacity of USAID/Malawi’s strategic partners.
The (Senior) Evaluation Specialist should possess expertise designing and executing quantitative and qualitative data collection and analytical methods to support evaluation design and implementation, ideally in complex environments. They will lead the design and implementation of performance and impact evaluations, as well as all assessment activities, along with the required analysis therefrom. The (Senior) Evaluation Specialist will finalize evaluation reports and facilitate presentations and briefings to disseminate learning among project stakeholders. They may be responsible for leading and/or directing evaluation teams and conducting on-location research.
The position will be full-time and be based in Lilongwe, Malawi with travel throughout the country.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
The (Senior) Evaluation Specialist will have had prior experience as Team Lead for evaluations in Malawi and/or within the region, as well as experience managing a portfolio of simultaneous evaluative activities and management experience ensuring quality of evaluation team members and subcontracting partners.
They will lead the design and implementation of performance and impact evaluations, as well as all assessment activities, along with the resulting required analysis therefrom, as well as manage the dissemination of learning from these evaluation and assessment activities. The (Senior) Evaluation Specialist will ensure that evaluation team members recruited are of a high caliber and possess the required technical expertise. They will work with the Chief of Party and other team members to ensure that learning from evaluations and assessments are shared and fully utilized to speed innovation and improve impact and investments of USAID’s work in country.
Essential functions include:
- Lead/manage evaluation, analysis, and assessment activities, including coordination and oversight of local partners engaged in these activities
- Design quantitative and/or qualitative data collection and analytical methods and tools to support evaluation design and implementation
- Liaise with the Chief of Party to inform the design of each study/evaluative activity and support quality assurance activities throughout each study, including the review of milestone deliverables and final reports prior to submission to USAID.
- Support the selection and engagement of local partners and experts for activities, and support team development, training, and execution of activities.
- Manage evaluation and task team leaders and provide quality control in the implementation of evaluations
- Establish methodological processes and standards that are compliant with USAID Evaluation Policy for MEL staff to adhere to on project monitoring and evaluation activities
- Employ strong collaboration, learning, and adapting (CLA) practices throughout the work, with an understanding of the USAID Program Cycle
- Other duties as assigned
- A graduate degree in a social science, organizational development, development studies or a related field highly preferred
- Minimum of six (6) years of demonstrated experience leading complex portfolios of evaluative and learning activities for improved development outcomes
Experience and Skills
- Experience designing and implementing various types of mixed-methods evaluations (impact, performance, meta, etc.), analyses, and assessments required
- Significant data analysis skills including command of statistics, sampling methodologies, statistical analysis software, and data validation techniques
- Extensive experience drafting and finalizing evaluation reports
- Experience applying systems thinking in evaluation design, participatory data collection methods and protocols, and facilitating participatory data validation and analysis exercises
- Experience in designing and training on Theory of change / logical frameworks
- Experience building evaluative and learning capacities of USAID staff, implementing partners, and government counterparts highly preferred
- Experience managing complex relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong familiarity with USAID’s Evaluation Policy and CLA practices
- Understanding of knowledge management as it relates to USAID programs an asset
- Ability to work with host-country governments at different levels
- Strong communication, supervision, and management skills required
- Working knowledge of and experience with USG-funded program management, policies, regulations and procedures
- Familiarity with USAID/Malawi Mission is preferred
- Superior skills in written and verbal English required
- Malawian citizens are strongly encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter and complete the application on the Careers & Consulting page of https://encompassworld.com .
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
|For US based positions: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.|
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
USAID, Evaluation Speciaist, Malawi, L2P, MEL
EnCompass LLC is a women-owned, small business consulting firm working in International Development, and offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership , capacity strengthening , technical assistance , and monitoring and evaluation . We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe. We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health , inclusive development , education , human rights , and food security .
Founded in 1999, EnCompass began as a virtual organization supporting clients and implementing work through a network of staff and expert consultants. Today, we have more than 110 full-time staff and a Global Consulting Network, our vetted database of specialists, through which we engage, on average, 200 consultants each year. In early 2017, EnCompass opened its first international office in Addis Ababa for Transform: a Primary Health Care project. In 2019, we set up our second field office in Lima, Peru. We maintain a full-time staff presence in Benin, Ethiopia, Germany, Great Britain, Peru, and Uganda.
To apply for this job please visit app.ismartrecruit.com .