Training and Research Unit of Excellence (TRUE) is seeking to recruit, highly motivated and hardworking Senior Data Officer to be based in Blantyre. The appointment will be on a fixed-term basis of two years, which may be renewed depending on performance and availability of funds.
Job Summary: Under the leadership of the Biostatistician and COO, the Senior Data Officer will provide credentialed data expertise and technical analysis support to various studies and project teams within TRUE according to TRUE procedures, policies and principles of Good Clinical Practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities shall include but not limited to the following;
1. Organizing and overseeing data collection, management and analysis by all field staff;
2. Create and enforce policies for effective data management;
3. To develop and review Study-specific Data Management Plans, Quality Management Plans, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Work Practice Guidelines (WPGs) that will deliver accurate, consistent and quality data in a timely manner;
4. To create data collection tools using various platforms (e. g. Electronic CRF’s);
5. Formulate techniques for quality data collection to ensure adequacy, accuracy and legitimacy of data;
6. Devise and implement efficient and secure procedures for data handling and analyses with attention to all technical aspects;
7. Establish rules and procedures for data sharing and review data sharing agreements with external stakeholders/ collaborators;
8. Manage requests for data from external third parties – including liaising with internal staff and external collaborators to provide data in a timely and appropriate manner and maintenance of a database detailing the status of such external data requests;
9. Managing existing data dictionaries from completed studies and creation of data dictionaries and meta-data for new studies. This will include updating and checking stored information related to epidemiology studies, updating datasets as required and maintenance of these in the data dictionary, as well as maintaining a record of data and variable updates (version control);
10. Support data teams in the daily use of data systems and ensure adherence to legal and institutional/study standards and requirements;
11. Assist with reports and data extraction when required;
12. Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their performance to discover ways of enhancing them (new technologies, upgrades etc.);
13. Ensure digital databases and archives are protected from security breaches and data losses;
14. Keeping a digital copy (scan) of all signed and unsigned informed consent forms from all research studies under TRUE;
15. Ensuring that hardcopy CRFs etc. from TRUE research projects that are subject to auditing by internal and/or external institutions are securely archived for at least 15 years;
16. Supervision of Data Officers in TRUE projects and ensuring that the team adheres to established SOPs and/or protocols;
17. Supervision of secure data migration and/or hosting where necessary e.g., during a change of servers;
18. Troubleshoot data-related problems and authorize maintenance or modification;
19. Act as line manager for the data technical team, ensuring smooth and flexible operation of the team, delegating tasks, and carrying out performance reviews and other HR functions as necessary;
20. Assist the administration team in setting up effective and efficient IT support systems that establish effectiveness for smooth office operations;
21. Any other duties assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Required skills and Abilities.
1. A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or equivalent with not less than 7 years’ experience at a similar position. Those with a Master’s Degree will have an added advantage.
2. 7 or more years of related work experience.
3. Strong data management, cleaning, leadership and reporting skills;
4. Familiarity with REDCap;
5. Experience with reproducible research and auditable/replicable data flow and analysis
6. Strong understanding of the regulatory environment.
Closing date for receiving applications is 2nd January 2022.