The Kamuzu University of Health Sciences (KUHeS) is a new University formed by merging College of Medicine and Kamuzu College of Nursing and established by an Act of Parliament (No. 20 of 2019). It is a comprehensive health and allied sciences University that trains health professionals that are globally competent but locally relevant.
The Blantyre-Blantyre Research Facility within the Kamuzu University of Health Sciences is implementing a COVID-19 vaccine immunogenicity study (OCTAVE study) in Blantyre and Chikwawa Districts. Blantyre-Blantyre Research Facility is urgently seeking suitably qualified, highly motivated and hardworking candidates to fill the vacant positions listed below.
The appointments will be made on a fixed term basis for 12 months, which may be renewed depending on performance and availability of funds.
Research Nurse (1 Lead Research Nurse/1 Junior Research Nurse)
Reporting to the Principal Investigator and Project Coordinator and liaising with OCTAVE staff, KUHeS, QECH and DHO staff, the post holder will be responsible for carrying out COVID vaccination procedures for OCTAVE study, as designated by the PIs and Project Coordinator. The Research Nurse will examine study participants, consent and enroll of study participants, follow up study participants, completion of CRFs, conducting quality control of study data and other project duties as may be assigned from time to time. The Research Nurse will liaise with other members of the study team, health facility management team, COVID vaccination clinic and community leaders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out COVID vaccine procedures in accordance with research protocols as set out either by the PI/Co-PI/Project coordinator
- Keep both paper and electronic records where appropriate
- To monitor equipment at regular intervals according to set protocols where appropriate
- Adhere to the principles of Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
- Work within the Health and Safety protocols of the department.
- Obtain informed consent from study participant
- Enrol study participants
- Administer COVID vaccine to study participants
- Collect study specimens according to set protocols
- Timely transportation of the specimens to Blantyre-Blantyre Research Facility
- Prepare and store specimens according to set protocols
- Complete case report forms
- Conduct QC of study data
- Provide nursing care and other project duties as may be assigned from time to time
- Assist in providing medical care to non-study participants (patients) during emergencies
- Develop, revise and update standard operating procedures for nursing care of study participants.
- Supervise field Research Assistants
- Assist in the training of new staff as appropriate
- Conduct daily reviews of Case Report Forms and source documents to ensure accurate data recording.
- Order and account for study supplies at the COVID vaccine study sites.
- Collate and compile data on screening, enrolment and follow-up processes for submission to the Program Coordinator.
- Participate in regular study team meetings to evaluate and plan study activities.
- Manage study participant’s reimbursement funds
- A minimum of Nurse Midwife Technician Diploma obtained from an accredited University or College
- Registration with the Nurses and Midwives Council of Malawi
- At least two (2) years of proven labour ward experience working in a busy health facility.
- Health research experience
- Experience in vaccine administration
- COVID research experience
- Possession of GCP certificate
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their application letters, CV’s with 3 contactable referees and copies of Certificates to:
Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
or via e-mail to: [email protected]
Applications sent by email must be submitted as a single PDF and copied to the Blantyre-Blantyre Project Team Lead: Dr Mwapatsa Mipando ( [email protected] )
Applications should be submitted not later than 22 nd October 2021 . Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit www.medcol.mw .