Founded in 1987, AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) is a global organization providing cutting-edge medicine and advocacy to over 1, 500, 000 people in 43 countries. In Malawi, AHF is working in partnership with the Ministry of Health (MOH) to strengthen access to quality of HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis (TB) and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) treatment. AHF Malawi is providing prevention, treatment and retention services in seventeen hard to reach health facilities in Dedza, Lilongwe, Ntcheu, Chikwawa and Nsanje Districts.
AHF Malawi wishes to recruit highly qualified and experienced persons to fill the following post in order to achieve its objectives in the country.
REGIONAL MEDICAL OFFICER
Position Title : Regional Medical Officer
Reports to : Medical Coordinator
Duty Station : Nsanje District Hospital
Directly oversees all medical and prevention activities within two AHF Malawi implementation districts of Nsanje and Chikwawa. The incumbent will ensure high quality services and maintains quality standard of care for all patients through direct patient care, staff mentorship, supervision and leadership.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direct medical care to children and adults living with HIV/AIDs, and is a referral point for other AHF staff and partners in managing complicated HIV cases and those with Advanced HIV diseases.
- Collaborate with MoH in managing the Rapid Assessment Unit; and stabilizes critically ill patients.
- Provide periodic comprehensive support supervision to AHF supported sites, focusing on quality improvement initiatives, adherence to national guidelines, policies and AHF standards
- Implement quality management activities and quality benchmarks monitoring. Facilitate quality assurance and quality improvement sessions.
- Strengthen and ensure that TB / HIV, HIV Prevention, ART, services are delivered in an integrated service delivery model.
- Guide and support implementation of differentiated service delivery that focuses on decongestion, and streamlined patient flow in all sites, especially high volume sites, and coordinate time in motion surveys to monitor performance
- Remains updated on current trends and standards in clinical management of HIV / AIDS and related illnesses, ensure dissemination of same to staff in AHF-supported health facilities in the region
Leadership and Management
- The Regional Medical Officer will oversee AHF medical operations in Nsanje and Chikwawa districts and will support the Medical Coordinator to efficiently and effectively deliver quality clinical services in the region
- Provide technical support to prevention and treatment program leads in the region, and ensures effective continuity of services to treatment and care program through well-established processes of patient linkages and service integration
- He will lead in development of annual work plans and setting of annual targets for AHF supported sites within his/her region, and support the team in achieving the same.
- Take lead in strengthening AHF’s visibility and presence within the region. Attend key technical partners’ meetings and provide feedback to management through the Medical Coordinator
- Ensure that Continued Medical Education (CMEs) are conducted in all sites and participate in the facilitation of CME sessions.
- Set performance targets, conduct staff appraisal, disciplining and addressing complaints of employees under his / her supervision.
Education and Experience
- Must be a Medical Doctor from a recognized institution and duly certified with Malawi Medical Council of Malawi. Additional qualification in health systems management or public health will be an added advantage
- Five years or more of recent experience with HIV/AIDS treatment; three years minimum of leadership, administration and program management experience with knowledge of clinical protocols and procedures in the management of HIV related diseases.
- Experience in planning and budgeting is required
- Experience in quality management and assurance practices is desired
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
Other Skills & Abilities
• Willingness to relocate to Nsanje district
• Sensitivity to issues surrounding HIV and AIDS.
• Must be able to travel and invest 50% of his staff time in rural sites
• Ability to prioritize tasks in a rapidly changing environment.
• Ability to develop proposals, write abstracts and understand basic research concepts.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Participation in AHF Meetings/Committees
• Team conferences/ Meetings with the Bureau Team
• Leads regional general staff meetings as delegated by the Medical Manager
• Participates and actively contributes to AHF Malawi advocacy efforts and initiatives
Other Skills and Responsibilities
• Excellent report writing, prompt and effective communication using charts and graphs
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Sensitivity to ethics and confidentiality of HIV/AIDS client issues
• Knowledge of excel and PowerPoint programs.
Interested candidates should submit their CVs and cover letters to the following e-mail addresses: [email protected] . Closing time and date for receiving applications is 12:00 noon on 27th August, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.