Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Malawi (BCMCF-M) is a not-for-profit organization working in partnership with the Malawi Government in the health sector. Our Mission is to provide high-quality, high-impact, highly ethical pediatric and family-centered health care, health professional training and clinical research, focused on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, malnutrition and other conditions impacting the health and well-being of children and families worldwide.
The Baylor-Tingathe program developed in 2008 initially responded to suboptimal uptake of PMTCT and pediatric HIV services in Malawi and has grown over the past 12 years to support the full cascade of HIV care and treatment services. The current CORE programming seeks to support the Malawi Government in achieving epidemic control, by providing client focused care to People Living with HIV from the time of diagnosis to linkage and full engagement in care. BCM-CFM’s CORE programming is funded by USAID, and is currently operating in 6 districts in Malawi; Mangochi, Machinga, Phalombe, Balaka, Salima and Lilongwe. BCM-CFM is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of:
: Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement (QA/QI) Manager
Contract Duration : 1 year (renewable)
Position Type: Full-time
Location : Lilongwe
Reports to: Senior TA- Health System Strengthening
Position Description & Responsibilities
The QA/QI Manager will provide strategic and technical leadership to the CORE program, including building overall capacity for quality improvement initiatives in six districts. S/he will be responsible for coordinating and leading the continuous QI components of the program, working closely with program and district leadership, guiding district QI coaches to provide technical assistance on QI in a structured, systematic and effective manner.
S/he will also work closely with the Ministry of Health, USAID and other partners to support the national quality improvement policy and strategic plan. The QA/QI Manager will have the following responsibilities;
- Work with program leadership to develop and oversee the implementation of a CORE- quality management plan which is aligned to MOH and USAID QI policies and plans
- Translate CORE’s service delivery interventions into service-level standard operating procedures, in coordination with program leadership team ensuring consistency with national guidelines and policies
- Coordinate and oversee capacity building and training efforts in quality management for delivery of quality HIV services.
- Work with district teams and program M&E leadership to optimize use of data to improve effectiveness of QI approaches through performance data analysis and interpretation to identify opportunities for improvement and support the implementation of the models for change
- Guide the development and monitoring of quality improvement projects in all the districts.
- Provision of direct technical assistance and mentoring to QA/QI coaches and program staff, QIT and WIT and MOH service providers using evidence from analyzed service delivery data
- Ensure district/sites have functional quality improvement teams and work improvement teams
- Mentoring district/facility QI teams to build local capacity for QI implementation and analysis and interpretation of results of implemented actions.
- Participating in the dissemination of results to MOH management and quality teams and facilitating the program-wide adoption of QI practices across key service delivery interventions.
- Recommend and support the skills and knowledge update training to service providers in conjunction district leadership teams.
- Stay abreast of new technical developments and initiatives within the program and cascade these (through staff coaching) and other evidence-based quality improvement activities at site level, stressing rapid problem-solving and replication working of solutions
- Participate and represent the program at assigned MOH meetings and technical working groups on quality management
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor
The tasks listed above are not exhaustive; roles and responsibilities may change in response to overall organizational need and strategic innovations within the program.
Applications are sought from experienced, mission-driven candidates who meet the following profile:
- The ideal candidate will hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing, public health, Clinical Medicine or a related field in health science (Masters degree an added advantage)
- Possession of a valid registration certificate from the relevant professional regulatory bodies
- At least four years of experience implementing Quality Improvement approaches and use of related tools to support facility-based Quality Improvement teams in HIV/AIDS service delivery
- Experience in management and delivery of a HIV service delivery program
- Training in Quality Improvement models and participated in quality improvement projects for clinical interventions.
- Knowledge and experience in application of national QI approaches and quality of care standards in HIV services delivery
- Demonstrated creativity and innovativeness in adapting to challenging work environments.
- Excellent facilitation, communication or interpersonal skills is a must
- Exceptional collaborative skills and ability to work flexibly in a continuously changing work environment
- Self-motivated, team played and ability to work under minimal supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Chichewa
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors and guide corrective action.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite is required
- Willingness to make frequent travels to all supported districts.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Based in Lilongwe with frequent field work for supervision and training. Working hours are 8 hours per day and will include early AM, weekend and may include evenings at times. The job is physically demanding and tiring due working in rural health facilities and long working hours.
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should forward their applications, including a detailed Curriculum Vitae and names of three traceable referees to:
Closing date for receiving applications is on 30 th October, 2021. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.