Lead Organization: Greenlivelihoods
Project/Activity name : Moringa Value Chain Enterprise Development (MOVED) Activity in Malawi
Greenlivelihoods (GL) is a Malawian based non-for-profit organization that champions green development and value chains development and its commercialization processes for increased sustainable economic opportunities of the poor and marginalized but business-bankable people via cooperative and/or group orchestrated programming. With funding from Unites States Agency for International Development (USAID) in Malawi, GL is leading the implementation of a two year project entitled Moringa Value Chain Enterprise Development (MOVED) Activity in Salima district. This project is being implementation in partnership with Nutri Products and Moringa Malawi (The Seed Masters) in collaboration with the Government of Malawi.
The main objective of MOVED Project is to contribute to increased investment portfolio for rural economic growth, improved food-income security and ensure reduced vulnerability of small-scale farmers to the effects of climate change in Salima district by 2023.
MOVED Project will pursue the following areas of specific objectives (SOs):
SO1) Increasing community-household ‘investment-financial capital ‘through promotion of market inclusive and commercialization of Moringa integrated value chain businesses. SO2) Increasing household economic, environmental and health security through Moringa integrated agroforestry farming and cooperative approached investments.
The Project Officer will work with identified cooperatives (smallholder farmers) in collaboration with government staff to coordinate agricultural extension services, land acquisition, horticultural trainings, and organic farming technique manual development and training package delivery plus many more roles aimed at boosting moringa farming and product value chain quality assurance and management. S/He will work with the Business Development Officer on Market Linkages, Packaging, Labelling, Profit & Loss (Gross Margin Analysis). S/he will be supervised by the Project Manager alongside the Project Director. The Project Officer will be based in Salima.
Contract period one year renewable.
- Coordinate implementation of agricultural extension and livelihood activities within the scope of the project.
- Be involved in community mobilization, targeting and monitor movement and distribution of agriculture inputs and grants to youth groups.
- In consultation with the Project Director, Senior Project manager and partners, organize and draw work plans.
- Where possible in liaison with the Project Manager link extension services to other existing institutions and organizations such as those responsible for providing credit, technology packages, marketing facilities.
- Work with the Agro dealers in the Communities to explore indigenous Technical experiences and develop cropping calendars and farm Plans.
- Prepare up cash request to facilitate field activities, budgets including monthly cash projections and properly keep records of field expenditures
- . Ensure that due diligence is followed in distribution of Agricultural support to the community members Effective Monitoring and Evaluation
- Conduct surveys, assessments to continually identify agricultural gaps and needs in Moringa farming
- Conduct regular field visits to project site and update the Project manager with the progress of MOVED project activities in the field.
- Prepare regular and comprehensive project progressive monthly reports.
- Ensure that all the partners contracted by Greenlivelihoods, render quality service the clienteles/beneficiaries as per the terms spelt out in the contractual agreements and give feed back to the Project Director
- . Identify training and development needs of extension workers and make recommendations to Project manager
- Create awareness to the communities and partners of the operational procedures of Greenlivehoods with the aim of ensuring that the beneficiaries are optimally transformed while upholding the Green livelihoods and donor’s requirements.
- Attend agricultural meetings with partners and stakeholders in the field.
- Demonstrates well-developed interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as negotiation skills.
- Ensure a gender perspective in the scope of work.
- Be a team player.
Required Qualifications and Competences
Must hold B.SC in Agriculture-plant science rural development or Agricultural extension and related fields. 3 years; Prior experience in a supervisory position, with good understanding on principles of extension proven problem solving and decision making skills Experience working with cooperatives and rural communities on development matters.
How to apply
Eligible candidates meeting the required qualifications and experience above should submit their applications together with detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), relevant copies of Certificates, three traceable referees, include the job title to:
P.O. Box 338
The deadline for receiving applications is Friday, 13th August, 2021. Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Greenlivelihoods thanks all applicants for their interest.