Focus of the Role
Do you thrive on driving the end to end delivery of transformative projects? We are looking to hire an exceptional programme manager (PM) with experience and expertise across technology and government advisory. The PM will coordinate the implementation of a suite of data management products for Government, advising and supporting their application in Malawi. The post holder will thereafter work on the application of technology and innovations across public services (i.e. agriculture, health and governance), support day-to-day relations with key governmental interlocutor and scope new areas of impact.
The post holder will join a fast-growing team focused on our tech for development in Malawi in the Malawi Country Programme led by the Country Head, Malawi. This team will work with the wider existing embedded team, forming a team with enormous potential for further impact. The postholder will report to the Head of Tech for Development, Malawi, whose reporting line will be to the Country Head, Kenya.
This is a key role requiring a strong candidate with relevant expertise and networks with government and/or industry in country or other peer countries, excellent project management skills, temeperament and drive to deliver in a complex government environment.
This is a one-year fixed term role.
Key outcomes of the role:
- Tech for development programme managed to deliver expected results, 3-4 collaboration/projects underway and a smooth channel to Ministries and other key players in the Malawi Tech space in order to deliver in deployment of solutions ranging from improving digital services, infrastructure, service delivery in agriculture and health, to proximate use cases such as digital payments, digital ID
- An operational workplan developed; develop tools to implement, track, and monitor status and impact across implementations
- Supporting effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians and bureaucrats in government, in service of project delivery and sustainability
- Planning: Working closely with Head of Tech for Development, design, maintain and continually improve country project plans and tools to roll out our initiative from one tech domain to another, with one ministry or more, across government and in country with other stakeholders.
- Execution and Monitoring: Under the direction of the Head of Tech for Development, review and maintain project goals, plans, proof points and KPIs. Report to and engage with Country Head for Malawi, and our Global Director Tech for Development, and his/her team to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage roll-out. Where relevant, ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget with robust management accounts and accountability established. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial compliance and processes are followed.
- Government Relations: Support the Head of Tech for Development to maintain effective and trusted relationships in government in line with the country project strategy and positioning, and in service of the overall TBI mission to support political leaders to achieve results that benefit the people of the country and our tech for development initiative.
- People: Support the recruitment and management of team staff, as required. The post holder will be expected to develop strong working relationships.
- External Relations (non-governmental): Support the Head of Tech for Development to engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organisations, media, suppliers and agencies as directed.
- One TBI: The post holder will formally report into Head of Tech for Development Malawi and will work closely with the Country Head, Malawi, and the wider tech for development teams in London and other countries.
- Other responsibilities as needed
We are looking for an experienced programme manager:
- With experience in business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions
- With a minimum of 5 years’ experience in management consulting or government advisory
- With some prior experience in emerging markets, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa
- With some experience in public affairs or government relations
- With an in-depth understanding of the tech policy and regulatory environment in practise
- Who commits to business objectives and pulls out the stops to make sure they are always met
- With some experience in business intelligence tools and M&E
- With the ability to work under pressure, and to coordinate with teams and multi-disciplinary advisors
- With strong communication and project management skills
- Who can work flexibly and be adaptable, open to changing approaches in response to changing situations on the ground
- With proven understanding of the policy context, how to influence policy and the discretion and judgment needed to navigate a complex political environment
- With a bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- Prior work with the Government of Malawi is highly desirable
- Fluency in English required.
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It works with a variety of partners and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\’re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.
To apply for this job please visit careershub.institute.global .