Winrock International works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock is seeking experienced candidates for an anticipated USAID project that will accelerate resilient, agriculture-led economic growth and increase food security in Malawi. The project is expected to use a market systems approach to promote access to and adoption of improved inputs, market information, extension and advisory services, market access, and post-harvest services. The project will use innovative partnerships to incentivize private sector investment in modernizing Malawi’s agriculture sector while increasing production capacity and market access for nutrient-rich value chains and building resilience for smallholder farmers.
The Production Lead will be responsible for the technical design, implementation, and partnership strategy for interventions to improve smallholder farmer productivity under the anticipated USAID-funded Malawi Agriculture Competitiveness Activity. They will lead a team toward facilitated approaches to engage private sector firms in promoting adoption of inputs, practices, and technologies that result in higher productivity, sustained natural resources, resilient growth, and improved food security.
- Provide technical leadership for design and implementation of facilitative activities to promote the adoption of inputs, practices, and technologies using a market systems development approach;
- Build capacity of technical and other project staff, partners, and stakeholders for implementing strategies for increasing agricultural production;
- Implement diagnostics and assessments for identifying and mitigating shocks and stresses, evaluating market opportunities and constraints facing smallholder producers, including opportunities and constraints for women and youth;
- Strengthen cohesive farmer groups to improve access to knowledge, inputs, finance and markets.
- Understand and manage to expected project results, including evaluation of ongoing activities as part of a collaborating, learning, and adapting approach;
- Provide thought leadership for government of Malawi counterparts, private sector businesses, USAID, and other stakeholders in understanding and implementing strategies to improve productivity;
- Contribute to knowledge management and sharing activities within project, with USAID, other implementing partners, and with government;
- Contribute substantively in development of annual workplans aligned with annual and life of project targets.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Degree in agricultural science or related field.
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience managing and implementing productivity enhancing activities for international development projects in Malawi;
- Experience managing and providing technical direction to technical teams for agricultural productivity enhancement and market systems development, including training, capacity building, mentorship, and day-to-day management;
- Experience in agriculture, food security, post-harvest handling and processing, and/or market access – particularly for legumes (including groundnuts, soy), orange fleshed sweet potato, and other nutrient-rich value chains.
- Familiarity with market systems development framework, including tools, strategies, and approaches;
- Deep knowledge and contacts within the Malawian agriculture sector – including strong understanding of historical and existing strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, as well as constraints and opportunities for women and youth;
- Openness to and track record of innovation and adaptive management;
- Strong training design, training delivery, and facilitation skills;
- Strong personnel management skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English required.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit winrock.org .