United Purpose (UP) Malawi is an international non-governmental organisation working to create opportunities for lasting improvement in peoples’ lives. We work in partnership with others to support a range of livelihoods and food security, WASH and health, sustainable energy and gender equality programmes reaching over 1,000,000 people a year across Malawi. Globally, we work in nine countries across Africa, Asia and South America, however our Malawi programme is the largest country programme. UP currently operates in 17 districts in Malawi, supporting over 30 on-going projects, with a total staff of over 180 working across five impact areas: Resilient Lives; WASH and Healthier Lives; Sustainable Energy; Gender Equality and Emergency Response.
UP therefore invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the following vacancies:
Procurement & Stores Officer (1 based in Blantyre Office)
The Job purpose:
The Procurement and Stores Officer is responsible for the provision of effective and efficient procurement and stores management to the project. S/he is also responsible for providing effective administrative and human resources support to project staff. S/he reports to the Procurement & Logistics Manager and work very closely with the Project Managers/Accountants.
Key Duties and responsibilities
- Supporting the preparation of comprehensive project procurement plans in liaison with project teams and ensure adherence during implementation
- Preparing solicitation documents for acquisition of projects supplies within the given thresholds
- Contributing to management of procurement for supplies, services and works contracts
- Liaising with Procurement and Logistics Manager on any procurement bottlenecks
- Supporting periodic and perpetual physical verification of both inventory and assets
- Maintaining a professional stores management system that ensures effective receipt, storage and issuance of materials and reducing obsolescence and eliminating discrepancies.
- Preparing accurate regular stock reports to assist senior project personnel to make informed materials management decisions.
- Maintaining an up to date register for all project capital equipment.
- Providing administrative assistance including arranging visits, workshops, meetings, paying of utility bills and mail post box subscriptions
- Facilitating internal vehicle hiring, invoicing, and timely payment on monthly basis
- Making sure that all vehicles all serviced in time and are road worthy all the time and they have all the necessary equipment namely fire extinguisher, jack, wheel spanner and first aid kit
- Responsible for setting up and maintaining an accurate and up-to-date filing system for the project and the office using acceptable archiving standards. Filing all documents/correspondences under her/his jurisdiction and updating the file index
- Providing secretarial services including faxing, recording meeting minutes, photocopying and scanning documents.
- Administering office petty cash.
- Managing and Supervising office assistant, drivers and office guards.
- Providing support e in human resources management functions such as conducting performance appraisals for the drivers and guards, grievance handling, processing leave applications, recruitment.
- Organizing procurement of stationery and other office supplies.
- Ensuring that Blantyre office equipment, machinery and fittings are working properly all the time.
- Ensure office cleanliness, toilets, kitchen and external surroundings are clean.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisors.
The successful candidate will have
- At least a diploma or an equivalent professional qualification in procurement, logistics, stores management, administration, human resources management or other relevant subjects.
- High levels of integrity, honesty, strong ethics but also a quick learner
- Demonstrable understanding of safeguarding risks and mitigating actions.
- At least 3 years working experience in a professionally managed procurement and warehouse environment.
- Knowledge of ethical procurement processes and principles is essential
- Experience in computerised stores management is an added advantage
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
Terms and conditions
The above position will attract a generous benefits package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, medical aid, insurance, leave grant, etc
How to apply
Qualified and interested candidates who meet the stated requirements must submit a completed Application Form. Please note that CVs and cover letters will not be accepted. Please visit https://united-purpose.org/s/UP-Job-Application-Form-2wtb.doc to download the Application Form, and then submit the completed form via email only to [email protected] . When submitting, please cite the position you are applying for in the subject title. Any applications that do not include this in the title will not be considered. No hard copies / physical applications will be accepted. Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is 12:00 Midnight of Thursday, 21 st October 2021 . Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
United Purpose takes the safety and well-being of all those we work with, and our staff, very seriously. We have a zero-tolerance policy on abuse. Our recruitment is safe, meaning that we recruit staff with the highest values and standards of ethical behaviour. United Purpose has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.
For more information about UP, please visit our website at www.united-purpose.org/malawi/ .
UP is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.