The anticipated USAID Malawi Momentum Activity seeks to reduce maternal, newborn, and child morbidity and mortality in Malawi. The ONSE follow-on will execute interventions in health systems strengthening and four priority health areas: family planning (FP) and reproductive health (RH); maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH); malaria; and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH).
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party (COP), the MEL Director is responsible for designing the project’s monitoring, evaluation, and learning agenda and creating systems to measure and document program process, output and impact data results by routinely and systematically collecting, analyzing and presenting program data for project staff, partners and donors. The MEL Director is responsible for tracking progress towards goals and fidelity to implementation design as well as recommending appropriate subjects for operations research.
The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi, and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of the project MEL Plan, indicators, and learning agenda, including developing relevant indicators.
- Guide team efforts to use activity-generated data, context data, and research to inform evidence-based program design and adaptive management.
- Lead efforts to strengthen a culture of learning at local levels with local stakeholders, including during trainings and other stakeholder engagements.
- Drive the Activity’s overall learning agenda to derive lessons learned and best practices from routine activities, and contribute to quarterly Activity evaluations.
- Support the interpretation and presentation of MEL findings for communication of successes.
- Leads the development of the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (AMELP), with inputs from technical and leadership staff. Updates AMELP throughout the life of the activity to reflect evolving needs and context shifts.
- Develops processes, procedures, and systems for data collection, analysis, and reporting on activity results and indicators.
- Ensures quality, reliability, validity, and formatting of all MEL tools and products are developed under USAID standards.
- Develops a research plan that outlines needed formative research to inform program implementation and design; identify new research needs, and ways to evaluate the pilot new approaches for activities.
- Supervises the collection of all data needed to report on all defined indicators (impact, output, outcome and program management indicators).
- Conducts regular review and adjustment of data collection processes as needed.
- Supervises implementation of data quality assessment (DQAs) as required or specified in the AMELP.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for research and data analysis needs for the project team.
- Synthesizes monitoring and evaluation findings needed for quarterly and annual reports for USAID.
- Masters’ Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Sociology, Statistics, or other relevant field and at least 12 years of experience in M&E activities for complex health systems strengthening and/or service delivery programs or Bachelor’s degree and 16 years of relevant experience.
- Experience managing MEL for USAID programs working in at least two of the following target service delivery areas:, malaria, FP/RH, MNCH, WASH, and/or nutrition.
- Demonstrated expertise in both quantitative and qualitative research methods; firm command of M&E issues with respect to improvements in service delivery and health systems strengthening.
- Knowledge of DHIS 2.
- Experience managing MEL support staff across field offices.
- Experience with monitoring progress in financing, accounting, planning, budgeting and auditing is an asset.
- Demonstrable analytical skills to measure the health impact of the project’s activities.
- Strong organizational skills for monitoring and reporting on program and study results.
- Experience with capacity building.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills, initiative, and good judgment.
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems.
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, Statistical Software).
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills in English required; strong report writing skills required.
Bachelor’s Degree + Fifteen years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or PhD + Ten years of relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
To apply for this job please visit egpy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com .