Market Systems Lead, Malawi Agriculture Commercialization Activity
Winrock International works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock is seeking a Market Systems Lead for an anticipated USAID project that will accelerate resilient, agriculture-led economic growth and increase food security in Malawi. The project is expected to use a market systems approach to promote access to and adoption of improved inputs, market information, extension and advisory services, market access, and post-harvest services. The project will use innovative partnerships to incentivize private sector investment in modernizing Malawi’s agriculture sector while increasing production capacity and market access for nutrient-rich value chains and building resilience for smallholder farmers.
The Market Systems Lead will be responsible for the technical design, implementation, and partnership strategy for the anticipated USAID-funded Malawi agriculture activity. They will lead a team toward facilitated approaches to engage private sector firms in investing in upgrades to the agriculture sector, including but not limited to improved inputs, private sector advisory services, post-harvest services, and provision of market information.
- Implement diagnostics and assessments for evaluating market opportunities and constraints, identifying partners, and designing mutually beneficial project partnerships;
- Identify and manage partnerships that contribute both to sustainable and inclusive growth of private sector partners and to anticipated project results;
- Design, test and scale market-led mechanisms to promote and deliver inputs and services to producers – and that engage women and youth;
- Identify capacity gaps across the broad range of market actors, and facilitate capacity building plans and access to training services;
- Identify and work closely with lead and intermediate private sector firms, building their capacity on firm-led services reaching farming communities, as well as women and youth;
- Facilitate private sector investment in embedded services, expansion to rural areas, and other innovative solutions;
- Liaise closely with financial institutions, end-markets, and service providers to increase farming communities’ access to markets;
- Understand and manage to expected project results, including evaluation of ongoing activities as part of a collaborating, learning, and adapting approach;
- Contribute to knowledge management and sharing activities within project, with USAID, other implementing partners, and with government;
- Work closely with the field team and project staff to develop annual workplans aligned with annual and life of project targets.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Degree in business administration or related field required.
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience managing and implementing market systems interventions for international development projects in Malawi;
- Experience managing technical teams for market systems development, including training, capacity building, mentorship, and day-to-day management;
- Experience in agriculture, food security, post-harvest handling and processing, and/or market access;
- Familiarity with market systems development framework, including tools, strategies, and approaches;
- Knowledge and contacts within the Malawian agriculture sector;
- Strong training design, training delivery, and facilitation skills;
- Strong personnel management skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English required.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit winrock.org .