ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Impact Specialist will work as a technical leader, in the Field Operations Team to help develop the most impactful agricultural practices and products for farmers. This will include new trainings, technologies, physical products or services that help One Acre Fund clients unlock higher impact. You will research, test, market and troubleshoot new products and services.
The main responsibilities of this position are to help design and coordinate multiple field operations and innovation projects. You will report directly to The Impact Lead.
AGRICULTURAL TRAININGS :
- Support Field Operations with creating and implementing a seasonal agricultural training curriculum for ca. 60,000+ clients (including planting, top dress, crop management, and harvesting trainings for a variety of crops)
- Provide support on crop health monitoring and troubleshooting (for example, germination and pest outbreaks).
- Coordinate training of trainer sessions and implement capacity-building projects for Field Operations team members
- Contribute to program-level impact strategy, long-term R&D plan, and associated budget needs.
- Monitor impact performance in individual program areas and advise Field Operations team members on performance management strategies when needed
RESEARCH AND RECOMMENDATION
- Manage trials focused on increasing program impact (e.g. testing new crop types), capture insights, and implement improvements in oncoming seasons
- Conduct original research (e.g. farmer needs assessment) and obtain actionable findings
- Implement minimum standards for data quality and management
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Design new farmer-friendly, marketable packages of products (e.g. groundnuts package consisting of seed and fertilizer) with an eye on cost, farmer adoption potential, and farmer impact.
- Test new product packages in the field through short surveys or focus groups and make a recommendation to improve the final package portfolio
NEW PRODUCT MANAGEMENT
Manage scaling process of all product packages from concept to field
Support sourcing and quality control of new products.
- Support marketing material creation and implementation of a marketing and adoption strategy
- Provide troubleshooting and customer care support for new products
- Support with the OAF buyback program to ensure that groundnuts bought from farmers meet the required quality standards
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- An undergraduate degree in agricultural studies, agronomy, crop science, soil science, or related field.
- 2+ years relevant professional experience (e.g. with an agribusiness, in agricultural extension, or practical farmer-facing research)
- To incorporate several data points and make a data-driven recommendation
- Experience conducting desk and field research, especially for agricultural products
- Fluency and literacy in both Chichewa / other local tongue and English
- Experience with farmer-level extension work
- Experience testing new trainings, products, or ideas in rural settings, for eg. through surveys or FGDs
- Experience creating needs-based solutions for rural consumers, clients, or beneficiaries
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
Health insurance, paid time off
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Malawi.
9 November 2021
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here ([email protected]), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feels consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
To apply for this job please visit grnh.se .