The Kamuzu University of Health Sciences (KUHeS) is a new University formed by merging College of Medicine and Kamuzu College of Nursing and established by an Act of Parliament (No. 20 of 2019). It is a comprehensive health and allied sciences University that trains health professionals that are globally competent but locally relevant.
The Blantyre-Blantyre Research Facility within the Kamuzu University of Health Sciences is implementing a COVID-19 vaccine immunogenicity study (OCTAVE study) in Blantyre and Chikwawa Districts. Blantyre-Blantyre Research Facility is urgently seeking suitably qualified, highly motivated and hardworking candidates to fill the vacant positions listed below.
The appointments will be made on a fixed term basis for 12 months, which may be renewed depending on performance and availability of funds.
Laboratory Technologists (1 Senior/ 1 Junior/2 interns)
Reporting to the Principal Investigator and Laboratory Manager and liaising with study staff, KUHeS, QECH and DHO staff, the post holder will be responsible for carrying out laboratory tests for OCTAVE study, as designated by the PIs; prepare specimens for testing and storage, and; document and keep records.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To carry out laboratory tests in accordance with research protocols (SOPs) as set out either by the PI/Co-I/Laboratory Manager
- To be aware of, and work using the Quality Control protocols, both internal and external
- To keep both paper and electronic records where appropriate
- To prepare and store specimens according to set protocols
- To monitor equipment at regular intervals according to set protocols where appropriate
- To adhere to the principles of Good Clinical Lab Practice (GCLP)
- To check stock and report levels to the appropriate member of staff.
- To work within the Health and Safety protocols of the department.
- To assist in the training of new staff as appropriate;
- To carry out sample processing and testing in accordance with established SOPs.
- To develop lab SOPs as per study protocol
- To ensure quality control
- To undertake data entry (electronically) in the research lab
- To ensure that lab equipment is functioning properly
- To perform any other assigned duties
- Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology, Biomedical Sciences or related disciplines from an accredited University
- Membership to the Medical Council of Malawi
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a Medical/Research Laboratory
- Those with experience in Immunology/Molecular laboratory research will have added advantage.
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their application letters, CV’s with 3 contactable referees and copies of Certificates to:
Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
or via e-mail to: [email protected]
Applications sent by email must be submitted as a single PDF and copied to the Blantyre-Blantyre Project Team Lead: Dr Mwapatsa Mipando ( [email protected] )
Applications should be submitted not later than 22 nd October 2021 . Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit www.medcol.mw .