MAC-CDAC is a research centre in the Kamuzu University of Health Sciences (KUHeS) that works with Ministry of Health, local and international health agencies to address priority health problems in Malawi and the SADC region through operational and evidence synthesis research, capacity building and training, health care systems strengthening, disease surveillance, and monitoring and impact evaluation in communicable diseases including malaria, HIV, vaccine preventable diseases and Neglected tropical diseases.
We are currently looking for self-motivated and talented individuals interested in malaria vector control research and broadening their knowledge of malaria control to work on the following three projects that will run concurrently for a period of up to 3 years:
- Streamlined Durability Monitoring of “new” nets funded by PMI VectorLink
- Entomological Monitoring in Balaka and Mangochi districts funded by World Vision Malawi
- International Centre of Excellence in Malaria Research (ICEMR) funded by NIH
Laboratory technician – 1 Position (tenable in Blantyre)
The lab technician will work in the Molecular lab to receive, catalog and analyze mosquito samples using advanced molecular techniques. In addition, the lab technician will record and manage lab data.
Type of contract and duration
Initial contract is for one year with possibility of further extension based on performance and availability of funding.
Duties and responsibilities:
- S/he will receive and process mosquito samples to ascertain the sibling species identifications
- Determine the sources of blood meals or host range,
- Assess whether the Anopheles females are carrying malaria parasites
- Carry out molecular analyses to determine mechanisms of insecticide resistance
Experience, competencies and education
Applicants must possess the following:
- A minimum of a diploma in laboratory sciences and/ or technology.
- Experience working in public health field will be an added advantage
- Ability to learn new and advanced molecular skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Internet and e-mail applications
- Must be prepared to work odd hours when required
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to follow written instructions on experimental Standard Operating Procedures
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
The position will attract a salary with benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications as applicable to contract staff in the Kamuzu University of Health Sciences.
KUHES is an equal opportunity employer.
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications together with copies of relevant certificates and detailed CVs with names, contact numbers and emails of three traceable referees to:
Applications should be submitted not later than 20th November 2021. Only short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.