- Lilongwe, Malawi
- Employees can work remotely
- Job Scope: Local
- Working Language: English
- Technical/Practice Area: Laboratory Services
- Type of Engagement: Fixed Term
The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is a nonprofit affiliate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore established by UMB to carry out UMB’s programs to strengthen health systems and improve the human condition in the areas where UMB operates through MGIC. MGIC has UMB-approved affiliates, field offices, and program offices (collectively known as “country offices”) throughout sub-Saharan Africa. MGIC activities are funded generally by U.S. government entities through cooperative agreements with UMB. The University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) has received PEPFAR funding from the US government /CDC for Accelerating Malawi’s PEPFAR Laboratory Logistics and Infrastructure for Quality (AMPLIFY). This cooperative agreement aims to achieve and maintain HIV epidemic control. AMPLIFY will strengthen the laboratory efficiency, capacity, and quality through improving laboratory infrastructure, improving laboratory data utilization for decision making, training human resources, and adhering to quality management systems.
Laboratory mentors will primarily be responsible for the implementation of QMS in molecular laboratories enrolled in ISO 15189 and SLIIPTA programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct an intensive quality management system implementation training program on site at assigned laboratory.
- Train and mentor laboratory quality managers and laboratory staff on quality management practices and quality system implementation in focus laboratories.
- Develop corrective action plans for each mentored laboratory.
- Visit each assigned facility regularly to mentor and monitor the implementation of the corrective action plans, progress toward accreditation and collect project evaluation data.
- Provide technical assistance in areas of need as they arise at focus laboratories.
- Provide training on universal biosafety and biosecurity principles and practices in focus laboratories.
- Coordinate with fellow laboratory QI Mentors at focus laboratories and other local partners involved in improving laboratory practice in Malawi.
- Provide technical assistance to fellow Laboratory QI Mentors at focus laboratories and conduct other technical activities assigned by Regional Coordinator.
- Provide recommendations to fellow Laboratory QI Mentors and Regional Coordinators in dealing with challenges as they arise and facilitate interventions to achieve project goals.
- Provide documents, templates, guidance, and other project support to fellow project staff to implement activities.
- Provide progress reports on implementation activities, estimated budgets for upcoming activities.
- Develop and submit monthly, quarterly and annual status reports in collaboration with Regional Coordinators.
- Degree in Biomedical Sciences from a recognized institution
- Minimum 2 years of related experience in QMS implementation.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Having knowledge and experience in SLMTA /SLIPTA programs.
- Experience in report writing and analyzing data.
- Computer software applications-word processing, excel, power point.
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills
- Must be able to Multi-task
- Effective problem solving abilities, communication skills, and the ability to maintain and nurture positive working relationships with organizations involved with laboratory practices.
- Able to prepare presentations and present at professional meetings.
- Able to work with other team members, flexibility, decisiveness and personal integrity.
- Strong organizational, time management, computer and communication skills, leadership, coaching and team building skills to strengthen and cultivate relationship to help achieve organizational goal.
Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com .