The Informatics Specialist will work closely with the Medical Informatics Manager and Medical Informatics Senior Specialist to ensure that our information systems are maximizing value for our patients, with a specific focus on point-of-care electronic medical records (EMR) and mHealth. They will liaise with the clinical team and build their capacity to ensure that the electronic tools deployed in the clinical settings are meeting their needs, easy to use, and consistently utilized by the staff. They will also support the informatics team in maintaining the existing data systems and implementing new applications in mHealth (e.g. CommCare, React and Medic Mobile) and the EMR (i.e. OpenMRS). The Informatics Specialist will report directly to the Medical Informatics Manager.
Support community health workers to implement Medic Mobile-based application
- Validate data flow between OpenMRS and YendaNafe CHW application
- Validate data quality of records collected by community health workers (CHWs) using the application
- Work closely with the Medic Mobile team to facilitate the implementation and configuration of new features
- Assist the community health team in setting up and maintaining an issue reporting and management system using an online platform (e.g. GLPI)
Develop the point-of-care and EMR system, servers, and networks
- Set up servers, including installation of OpenMRS, an open source web-based electronic medical record system programmed in Java using a MySQL database
- Resolve issues in OpenMRS and other systems
- Create new content in OpenMRS, including HTML forms for data entry and reports using SQL
- Create new modules with Java to extend OpenMRS functionality
- Create new features in a patient screening application developed in ReactJS
- Perform requirements gathering for new EMR functionality for clinical workflows, data collection, and information visualization
- Write scripts in Java, SQL, or other language to perform data cleaning operations
- Respond to clinical department needs for EMR ad hoc data requests, reports, and functions
- Collaborate with the medical informatics team to design and program new mHealth applications in CommCare
- Track project progress and EMR issues in JIRA software and provide updates to the clinical team
- Mentor informatics officers and data technicians in data management including cleaning, scripting, and server management
Support business intelligence initiatives within the M&E department and organization
- Develop PowerBI dashboards for program monitoring and reporting
- Develop Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) data integration pipelines for changes or new data warehouse tables using Pentaho
- Work with the informatics team to track schema/database changes for all available systems (OpenMRS)
- Support the M&E team with new and more efficient ways for connecting to different data sources for reporting
Skills and Experience
Items indicated with an asterisk (*) are required
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or another relevant field*
- Web application development experience in Java, Ruby on Rails, or Node-Js/React/AngularJS*
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs, with a high level of experience and comfort using Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Access*
- Experience in statistical data analysis software like SPSS, STATA, R, or SAS
- Experience with CommCare, Medic Mobile, ODK, DHIS2, or other mHealth platforms
- Experience with ETL process and data warehousing technologies
- Experience with DevOps tools like Monit, ELK, or Consul.io
- Working proficiency in Chichewa
- Exposure to issues relevant to public health and international development
- Willingness to take on additional work outside of the job description as required by PIH
- Comfortable living in a rural area
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal direction
- Ability to interact professionally and with sensitivity with diverse staff, clients, health workers, and partners
About the Organization
Partners In Health (PIH) is a non-profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works globally to bring the benefits of modern science to those most in need and to serve as an antidote to despair. PIH has programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone, Navajo Nation and Boston.
PIH began working in Malawi in 2007, where today we support the Ministry of Health (MOH) to serve a catchment area of around 160,000 people through 14 health centers and two hospitals in partnership with our sister organizations. Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (APZU) is in the Neno District.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.
To apply for this job please visit ghcorps.org .