UNICEF Malawi Country Programme (2019-2023) is aligned with the Government of Malawi’s Growth and Development Strategy (MDGS III) and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF). The programme supports the Government of Malawi to meet its commitment to respect, protect and fulfil children’s rights in line with international conventions and standards. The country programme is guided by the principles of children’s rights, equity, gender equality, inclusion and resilience, and supports evidence-based, integrative and innovative programming.
How can you make a difference?
The Malawi Country Office offers an exciting and rewarding career opportunity for you to join our dynamic team in the Health section where you will be responsible for the Effective Vaccine Management (EVM) Plan for Malawi, while ensuring the deployment and maintenance of the cold chain at central and peripheral level, including solar refrigerator, ensure forecasting of vaccines and injection devices for routine and Supplementary Immunization Activities (SIA), train health staff on vaccine and cold chain management, support COVID–19 vaccine rollout, while also ensuring close mentoring of the implementation of Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) interventions in the field. In your role as Immunization Specialist, you will be under the supervision and overall guidance of the Health Specialist (Community Health).
This job therefore presents a unique and significant opportunity for a qualified, vibrant, motivated and committed person to contribute to the overall achievement of transformative results for children by delivering on the following key responsibility areas, but not limited to (you are however encouraged to read the attached and detailed job description Generic JD (confirmed by classification unit) – MLW21003 Immunization Specialist NOC MLW21003 – establish (signed).pdf in order to view the full role and its requirements)
- Provide rapid and relevant assistance and support to evolving immunization cold chain and logistics supply needs and situations facing children and families, including emergency situations, with a priority on achieving value for money.
- Provide technical support to Ministry of Health for the extension of cold chain through Cold Chain Equipment Optimization Platform (CCEOP).
- Support training, coaching and mentoring of Service Providers and Cold Chain Technicians on Cold Chain and Vaccine Management.
- Provide support for the development and implementation of corrective and preventative maintenance plans for Cold Chain Equipment at National, Regional and district level.
- Assessments and other assessments, and the development and implementation of Improvement Plans.
- Support the forecasting, quantification, procurement, distribution and stock management of bundled vaccines and cold chain equipment.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: Supply Chain Management, Cold Chain and Logistics, Engineering, or related areas is required.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of five years of relevant professional work experience is required in supply management, vaccines programming including cold chain and vaccine management.
- Work experience managing large-scale projects related to immunization programme, working with governments, working in resource-limited settings, monitoring and evaluating supply chains, and risk management and mitigation will be essential.
- Product knowledge on cold chain equipment, new cold chain technologies and understanding of the principles of vaccine management, knowledge and experience with data collection, data management analysis and reporting will be an asset.
- Knowledge of procurement processes and good distribution practice could be beneficial.
- Fluency in English and in one of the local languages, both written and verbal skills, are required.