PSI Malawi is affiliated to Population Service International, a Washington DC based non-governmental and nonprofit making organization. PSI Malawi mission is to support low income and at risk Malawians to lead healthier lives through the provision and promotion of quality products and services, in line with the Government of Malawi goals. To accomplish its mission, PSI Malawi is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant position;
HIV Prevention Manager -Blantyre
Reporting to Deputy Head of HIV/BPS Programs Manager, the HIV Prevention Manager will be responsible for programmatic coordination and provision of technical assistance to project activities in all the five health clusters of Blantyre, ensuring strong partnership with district health management teams and HIV program leads, coordination and synergy with other HIV prevention projects operating in Blantyre and ensuring programmatic excellence and innovative approaches in strengthening local systems for targeting and surveillance, demand-generation, service delivery, and supporting effective use of primary HIV prevention products. Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities;
- Establishes partnership with District and City Health Management Teams, HIV prevention leads and IDSR-Unit team and works with them to implement the IDSR-HIV pilot for Blantyre
- Ensures timely technical assistance for the implementation of the IDSR-HIV pilot in Blantyre
- Provides technical assistance to implementation of appropriate and effective HIV case detection modalities such as VAPN and assessment of HIV risk patterns within clusters through effective utilization of infection dashboards.
- Establishes partnership with district and facility rapid response teams (RRT) and works with them to implement HIV response activities for Blantyre based on identified clusters of infection.
- Coordinate implementation of Human Centered Design (HCD) workshop model for continuous insight generation to inform demand creation for various HIV prevention products and services such PrEP, VMMC, condoms etc.
- Coordinate’s capacity building initiatives for City and District council staff
- Initiates and facilitates regular technical meetings with districts and the project team to review program implementation, and identify measures to overcome implementation bottlenecks and enhance quality of deliverables.
- Accountable for the delivery of strategic program objectives at district level, with regular reporting on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis. Contributes to donor reports and other project documentation.
- Supervises HIV Prevention Officers and supports them in the achievement of their program objectives.
- Manages daily operations of the HIV Prevention Officers and ensures that overall program implementation is on schedule and that reports, work plans and budgets are prepared with sufficient lead time to get the necessary approvals.
- Represents the project at the facility, cluster and district level as required.
- Implements other duties as assigned related to the project’ district-level work.
Qualification, Knowledge, Ability and Skills
- Applicant must have a degree in Clinical Medicine or Nursing and/or Public Health. Those with Master’s degree in the related field will have an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability with over 6 years of experience working on donor-funded public health programs with a preference for experience in HIV surveillance, case detection and response activities (VAPN/AIT/HTS).
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in PrEP and other HIV prevention services and products i.e VMMC, Condoms etc.
- Experienced in coordinating a busy and complex project and work within timelines
- Advanced knowledge on implementation of IDSR and HIV testing programs.
- Must be familiar with MOH policies, regulations, program priorities and key planning documents related HIV interventions.
- Keen understanding of Malawi’s health system at the district and community levels
- Strong interpersonal communication, teamwork, partnering and consensus building skills
- Ability to prioritize amongst competing demands with minimal supervision
- Willingness to accept additional responsibilities as the project evolves under the adaptive learning framework and SOW change from time to time.
- Knowledge of policy and implementation frameworks of HIV prevention policies and strategies in Malawi.
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a team as well as independently demonstrated verifiable result-oriented track record
- Experience in training, facilitation and in providing technical assistance
- Experience in supervising and mentoring staff
- Good interpersonal and communication skills in English
Working literacy in Word, Excel, and email (Outlook
Mode of Application
Qualified candidates with the specified qualifications and experience should submit their application letters together with detailed curriculum vitae with names and contact details of at least three traceable referees by 26 th May, 2021, through: [email protected] , indicating “HIV Prevention Manager” as the subject line . Only applications sent through email will be entertained.
PSI Malawi is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of religion, color, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or related medical conditions.
PSI maintains zero tolerance for child abuse, sexual abuse, or exploitative acts or threats by our employees, consultants, volunteers, contractors or anyone associated with the delivery of our programs and services, and takes seriously all complaints of misconduct brought to our attention.