Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Malawi (BCMCF-M) is a not-for-profit organization working in partnership with the Malawi Government in the health sector. Our Mission is to provide high-quality, high-impact, highly ethical pediatric and family-centered health care, health professional training and clinical research, focused on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, malnutrition and other conditions impacting the health and well-being of children and families worldwide.
The Baylor-Tingathe program developed in 2008 initially responded to suboptimal uptake of PMTCT and pediatric HIV services in Malawi and has grown over the past 12 years to support the full cascade of HIV care and treatment services. The current CORE programming seeks to support the Malawi Government in achieving epidemic control, by providing client focused care to People Living with HIV from the time of diagnosis to linkage and full engagement in care. BCMCF-M’s CORE programming is funded by USAID, and is currently operating in 6 districts in Malawi. BCM-CFM is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of:
: Finance Assistant, Tingathe Programs
Contract Duration : 1 year (renewable)
Position Type: Full-time
Location : Lilongwe, Malawi
Position Description and Responsibilities
Primary Supervisor: Finance Officer
Secondary Supervisor: Finance coordinator
The Finance Assistance is a person who has hands on experience in accounting and including experience with accounting software (in particular Sun System). S/he should have experience in Non-profit organizations financial and operation system. S/he should be able to understand BCMCF-M’s financial procedures and policies. S/he should also be able to understand the budget and work plan and key provisions of each grant that the Program is implementing. Using this knowledge, s/he should be capable of providing financial advice to other staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Check all requisitions for payment have appropriate approvals and supporting documents.
- Prepare Electronic Bank Transfers/ Bank Transfers and cheques from the appropriate bank account.
- Calculate the appropriate withholding tax from all payments for which WHT is deductible according to MRA provisions.
- Issue WHT certificates for all payments where WTH tax is withheld.
- Record all payments in the appropriate Electronic Bank Transfer/ Bank Transfer and cheque registers.
- Arrange for signing of Electronic Bank Transfers/ Bank Transfers and cheques by appropriate signatories
- Exercise vigilance in the handling of Electronic Bank Transfers/ Bank Transfers and cheques to avoid fraud/theft and keep track of cheque pad stocks and order in time to avoid stock outs.
- Once cheques are signed they should be given to the payees ensuring that all appropriate signatures, supporting documents and other processes are observed according to payment policies and procedures.
- Check all requisitions for payment by bank letter for appropriate approvals and supporting documents
- Draft bank letters from the appropriate bank account.
- Present cheque pad order form for signing by appropriate signatory and ensure it is delivered to the bank.
- Ensure the safe is always kept locked, except when transferring documents/cheques in and out
- Keep keys to the safe in a secure place and not transfer them to anyone except for the supervisors or whoever they designate
- Liaise with Administration Department to note all recurrent services such as water, internet, rent for all program sites.
- Maintain a schedule of payments noting invoice and payment details to avoid missing payments, over-due bills or duplicating payments
- Stamp all payment vouchers (both cheque and bank letter payments) with “PAID” stamp and fie them accordingly
- Ensure payment documents in all file sets are in sequence with no breaks.
- Where Electronic Bank Transfers/ Bank Transfers and cheques are cancelled, definitively mark the face of the original cheque as cancelled and file it in sequence in the payment voucher file
- Scan all payments and save them in Shared Folder, and make sure that the backup vouchers are kept in files at all times.
- Help in retrieving vouchers when needed, i.e. during systems financial reviews or during audit
- Make sure that all vouchers are filed back once used.
COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Diploma In Accounting – Preferably ICAM Diploma
- Minimum of two years’ experience with Nonprofit Organizations financial and operation systems
- Strong interpersonal skills to engage staff and community members
- Fluent in both Chichewa and English
- Should be proactive in relation to identifying gaps and come up with workable solutions
- Ability to meet deadlines with strong attention to consistency, detail, and quality
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to handle sensitive information confidentially
- Excellent interpersonal skills, mature, disciplined, loyal, and shows initiatives
- Ability to work independently
- Team Player
Applications must include the following:
- A motivation letter providing explanation and detail on how the applicant satisfies the required candidate profile;
- A current Curriculum Vitae;
- Names and contact information of two (2) traceable supervisory referees
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should address their applications to;
The Executive Director
Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation-Malawi
Email: [email protected]
Closing date for receiving applications is on 28 th August, 2021. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.