The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is a nonprofit affiliate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore established by UMB to carry out UMB’s programs to strengthen health systems and improve the human condition in the areas where UMB operates through MGIC. MGIC has UMB-approved affiliates, field offices, and program offices (collectively known as “country offices”) throughout sub Saharan Africa. MGIC activities are funded generally by U.S. government entities through cooperative agreements with UMB.
The University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) has received PEPFAR funding from the US government /CDC for Accelerating Malawi’s PEPFAR Laboratory Logistics and Infrastructure for
Quality (AMPLIFY). This cooperative agreement aims to achieve and maintain HIV epidemic control.
AMPLIFY will strengthen the laboratory efficiency, capacity, and quality through improving laboratory infrastructure, improving laboratory data utilization for decision making, training human resources, and adhering to quality management systems.
Applications are therefore welcome for the following vacant position tenable in Lilongwe, Malawi.
|Role Title||SmartRecruiters link (Application Link)|
|Finance Assistant – Lilongwe||https://smrtr.io/7rkSQ|
Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant will assist the Finance officer by managing the day-to-day operations of the Finance Department, responsible for Cash processing and record keeping of the day to day transactions in accordance with MGIC policy and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Finance Officer in ensuring that timely and accurate payments are made.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of payment documents in compliance to MGIC policies and procedure.
- Coordinate with field teams for advance issuance and there timely adjustment / liquidation of advances & trainings documentation.
- Ensure completeness of supporting documents in all respect which includes authenticity of signatures, cross-checking attendance sheets and verifying payments made to participants & partners.
- Post all vouchers into transaction spreadsheet on daily basis for review by the Finance Officer. Ensure that all information in the spreadsheet is correct and complete.
- Process petty cash transactions on daily basis. Ensure petty cash is replenished on time to meet daily cash needs. Carry out cash count as per the MGIC policy and schedule. Document the cash count sheets for records.
- Prepare all payments and make sure that they are properly coded and supported with relevant necessary documents.
- Assist Finance office in monthly bank & account reconciliations.
- Ensure all the financial documents are properly filed & tagged.
- ‘Paid’ stamping of all the invoices and related documents before filing.
- Ensure timely preparation of tax returns & deposit into bank.
- Visit Bank for necessary collection & submission of financial document.
- Photocopy & scan all necessary documents/Instrument.
- Minimum Diploma in Finance or Accounting.
- Must be a Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Malawi
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- At least 2 years of experience in accounting and financial management.
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting software or other accounting software preferably in ERP environment.
- At least 2 years of experience in a setting where accrual accounting is used.
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Proven knowledge of standard software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure and to organize and prioritize competing demands.
- Able to work effectively in a team setting and independently.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading, and writing).
Mode of Application
Suitable candidates should apply through the above link:
The closing date for receiving applications is 19th December 2021.
MGIC Malawi is an Equal Opportunities Employer