Nascent Solutions (Nascent) is a US-based 501(c) (3) non-profit international development organization. Its mission is to enable vulnerable people, especially women and children in rural Africa, to develop skills for self-sufficiency. The organization’s areas of focus are food security and nutrition, health, literacy and skills development, and gender equity. With funding from the United States Department of Agriculture, Nascent Solutions is implementing a five year McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program in the Central and Southern Malawi. The goal for the program is to improve the literacy of school-age children through improved literacy instruction, student attentiveness, and student attendance; and also to increase the use of positive health and dietary practices.
Nascent is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Field Facilitator for it’s office to be based in Kasungu.
Field Facilitator- Kasungu
Nascent Solutions is seeking one (1) Field Facilitators to support field activities in the beneficiary schools/communities for its McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program being implemented in Central and Southern Malawi. The McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program is a five-year program funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). It is designed to improve the literacy of school-age children through improved literacy instruction, student attentiveness, and student attendance; and to increase the use of positive health and dietary practices.
The Field Facilitator will work in collaboration with the project technical staff and community partners and will be responsible for overseeing all project activities in their respective districts of intervention. Field Facilitators will be required to spend about 80% of their time effectively following up donated commodities; facilitating WASH, health and nutrition project activities; mobilizing partners; collecting data, controlling commodity management and reporting on the various project activities.
Type of Employment: Salaried, full-time
Reporting: Reports to Deputy Chief of Party
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work hand in hand with the Deputy Chief of Party and Commodity Management team in the receipt and delivery of donated food commodities in schools and ECDs
- Support regular field supervision visits to storage facilities and distribution events to monitor, evaluate, and report on commodity management systems and procedures to ensure that inventory accountability standards and requirements are followed
- Carry out monthly commodity inventory in all school stores in his/her project district/zones/schools and reconcile any variances with the Commodity Management Committee
- Follow up with schools on the use of project commodities as per stipulated guidelines; and report on commodity management in all project zones/schools
- In collaboration with the government frontline workers (HSAs, Social Welfare Officers, AEDOs, AEDCs etc) facilitate implementation of WASH, health and nutrition project activities in schools and surrounding communities
- Facilitate community mobilization on the community engagement, safety, security, management and proper use of donated food commodities, facilities and tools for the project
- Lead in conducting education community awareness campaigns
- Report on any misuse of donated commodities, facilities and items/resources or any activity liable to discredit the organization or obstruct the attainment of program objectives
- Responsible for the periodic and unannounced control of all school stores
- Participate in district level meetings and various committees for effective project implementation and the promotion of ownership of the project by the
- Capture success stories and regularly take pictures of project activities
- Perform any other duty as assigned by management
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A university degree in Social Work, Nutrition, Social Sciences, Management, Education or any other related field
- Ability to undertake surveys and communicate appropriately with beneficiaries and
- An experience in the management of food commodities will be an added advantage
- Must demonstrate skills in community mobilization
- Possess experience working with grassroots and community organizations
- Ability to work well under pressure and at all hours
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the culture and customs of the communities where Nascent works
- Ability to ride a motorbike as well as possession of a valid rider’s license
- Knowledge of English
- Acceptance to live in the communities and under challenging
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and CV to [email protected] with and clearly indicate the position one is applying for in the e-mail subject line. Closing date for applications is 31 st August 2020 . Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Nascent Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, or political affiliation. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.