mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Overall Purpose of the Job
The Early Childhood Development Project/Reproductive Maternal Newborn Childhood Health (ECD/RMNCH) Project Manager will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing the implementation of m2m’s integrated Early Childhood Development/Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Project in Lilongwe, Malawi. To further its goal of maximising maternal and infant health outcomes, m2m has broadened the scope of its peer based RMNCH/Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission (PMTCT) education and psychosocial support model to integrate nurturing care and ECD support interventions for pregnant women and children 0-5 years (within particular focus on the period from conception to age 3 years). The post holder will work collaboratively with m2m country staff and Head Office based in Cape Town, South Africa.
Description of Tasks / Key Performance Areas
Coordination and management of the integrated ECD/RMNCH program 30%
• Serve as m2m programme lead on integration of Nutrition, ECD and RMNCH/PMTCT implementation project in Lilongwe District.
• Provide technical input into ongoing Nutrition, ECD/RMNCH strategy and programme development in Malawi
• Develop work plans and progress reports, including contributing to donor reports as required.
• Participate in routine and ad hoc meetings with the Head Office Department of Programmes & Technical Support, including monthly BIO meetings and regular technical. calls with the STA – ECD/OVC and Malawi colleagues.
Monitoring, evaluation and compliance with Project 30 %
• Work closely with the M&E department to inform quality improvement and assurance interventions as well as maintain the provision of high quality ECD interventions.
• Undertake regular site visits, supervision and monitoring of designated facility sites and community locations to ensure smooth running, effective and high quality of programme implementation and field staff support.
• Lead monthly Site Coordinators meeting for facility and community staff.
• Ensure routine collection, reporting, analysis and utilization of monthly district data in compliance with the project objectives and activities.
• Provide monthly reports to Acting Program Lead and project specific reports as required.
• Assist with Country Programme quarterly program review.
• Leads site level quality assurance/quality improvement (QA/QI) initiatives termed as Bring It On (BIO) at m2m.
• Works with the Programme Managers, and M&E team with ongoing quality assessments of m2m integrated ECD/RMNCH program activities and direct program changes where appropriate.
Training/Capacity Building: 10%
• Support planning and delivery of training activities and materials for integrated ECD/RMNCH programme implementation in close liaison with programme team and Head Office
• Lead and deliver scheduled and on the job training of m2m field staff
• Mentor field staff in Nutrition, ECD/nurturing care/RMNCH knowledge development to facilitate their role as facility and community champions for this
• Plan and deliver programme orientation and training to health care workers at facilities and in the communities
Stakeholder liaison: 5%
• Represent, develop and maintain good working relationships with national, regional and district officers and civil society partners working in nutrition, ECD and RMNCH/HIV and act as m2m nurturing care champion in Lilongwe.
• Present m2m in Nutrition, ECD/RMNCH/HIV inter-agency and technical forums and networks (e.g. ECD Civil Society Organisations Network) and foster new external relations for m2m around ECD/nurturing care programming .
• Actively build and maintain government and CSO’s relations on behalf of m2m.
Team Management : 15%
• Ensures that all staff are aware of and follow m2m policies, procedures and systems.
• Provide ongoing supportive supervision, feedback and coaching to optimize performance and commitment, taking corrective action if and when needed.
• Coordinate with other relevant Project Managers to ensure district / project deliverables are aligned.
Financial , HR and Administrative Management: 10%
• Closely collaborates with Acting Program Lead, Lilongwe Nutrition, ECD/RMNCH Programme Managers, Country Finance Assistant/Country Finance Officer and HRM to ensure compliance with financial and administrative procedures, and ensures efficient use of resources.
• Comply with all the COVID-19 precautionary measures and ensure availability of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for frontline workers at the site.
• Ensure all sites have required resources and tools. Conduct spot checks to ensure compliance for inventory control.
• Ensures budgets, procurement plans, requisitions and service requests are developed and shared in a timely manner for all site activities.
• Manages cash flow for sites and ensure liquidations as per m2m finance procedures.
• Comply with all HR procedures and resolve issues in a timely manner.
• Perform other reasonable tasks as necessary to support the functioning of m2m in Malawi.
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Early Childhood Development, Nutrition, Social Sciences or related field
• 5-7 years’ experience in programme management in the field of public health, preferably with experience of ECD programme implementation, with at least 2 years’ in a managerial role
• Strong project management experience
• Demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining strategic relationships with external stakeholders at multiple levels
• Coordinating and/or leading RMNCH, public health, nutrition and ECD programmes in resource limited settings.
• Excellent working knowledge and understanding of nutrition,HIV/AIDS and RMNCH/PMTCT, as well as nurturing care/ECD interventions, protocols and policies in Malawi
• Strong data analysing skills to inform correct action and initiate quality improvement practice
• Provide input to inform proposals and/or funding applications
• Experience in budget management and financial reporting
• Ability to provide team leadership as well as provide supportive supervision
• Excellent facilitation skills to conduct training
• Strong interpersonal, communication and staff management skills
• Ability to work independently, problem solve, and methodical in approach
• Fluent in English and Chichewa
• Computer literate