Manages Country Office (CO) administration and programs with deputy functions for technical and program activities. Manages the development and implementation process of a company’s services involving departmental or cross-functional teams focused on the delivery of new or existing projects. Plans and directs schedules and monitors budget/spending. Monitors the project/program from initiation through delivery. Organizes the interdepartmental activities ensuring completion of the project/program on schedule and within budget constraints. Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
- Collaborates with the Country Director/Project Director/Chief of Party to provide leadership to the development and maintenance of a comprehensive needs based strategy for programming in host country and/or sub-offices.
- Collaborates with in country Technical Advisors and headquarter based Technical staff to ensure programs are designed according to organization and industry best practices, program framework and regulations.
- Collaborates with the Country Director to proactively identify opportunities for new programming initiatives and funding to support them.
- Provides support to the overall leadership and management to programs, ensuring strategic program direction, managed growth and compliance with organization policies and procedures and donor regulations.
- Manages, implements, and monitors systems, services, staff and budgets to achieve financial, administrative and programmatic goals.
- Provides timely and accurate financial and programmatic reports to company management and donors as required.
- Prepares and monitors approved budgets for assigned projects.
- Approves all expenditures relating to budgets.
- Provides technical assistance through review or writing of proposals, protocols, papers, reports to ensure accuracy and appropriateness.
- Recruits, orients and supervises Country Office staff to support country programs and ensure the completion of technical, programmatic, financial, and resource development needs are met and achieved.
- Collaborates with Technical and Program staff to ensure that program implementation is managed closely through the development of structured work plans, indicator tracking sheets and approved monitoring plans.
- Provides supervision to all Technical and Program staff to ensure the financial health and performance of each of the projects.
- Ensures expenditures within each project is monitored on a monthly basis, and that well- structured corrective action is initiated and tracked where required.
- Provides leadership to Technical and Program staff, and the Grants Team to ensure the development of timely, high quality and regulation compliant activity reporting per organization and donor guidelines.
- Provides supportive guidance and supervision to Technical and Program staff, and Managers who are charged to implement programs within the assigned area of expertise.
- Collaborates with Operations and cross functional groups on matters concerning staff development that leverages international staff to mentor local staff, so as to maintain project accountability and scale in the short term and fast track capacity building for the long term.
- Supports performance management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Effective strategic planning, program evaluation and project management skills.
- Strong grant research, development, management, and reporting experience.
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills.
- Budgeting, financial management, and policies and procedures oversight experience.
- Demonstrated public relations and diplomacy skills required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to speak the country’s language.
- Ability to build positive local working relationships with local communities, district government officials, UN and where appropriate, donor representatives.
- Ability to analyze and establish effective and supportive cross- program coordination, organizational procedures, and management systems.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Decisions and actions have a significant impact on management and operations.
- Problems encountered are moderate to complex and highly varied.
- Demonstrates strong critical thinking and problem solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Exercises judgment to meet business strategies and develops objectives that align with organizational goals.
- Assists in setting goals and budgets for projects and leads the country in achieving strategic goals.
- Leads coordination for fundraising planning and implementing strategies to increase private donor giving.
- Leads coordination of resources for ongoing program/projects across functional areas and addresses/ resolves issues.
- Typically reports to a Country Director/Project Director/Chief of Party.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent • Business Administration, Public Health, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- Typically requires 5-8 years of experience with developing international programs and project management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and international in scope.
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; fluent in host country language.
- Experience working in a non- governmental organization (NGO).
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
FHI 360 seeks a Deputy Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID integrated health and systems strengthening program. USAID Malawi supports the Government of Malawi (GOM) and their Ministry of Health (MOH) to improve health outcomes by strengthening health systems and health services. This project will work with Malawian organizations to increase the demand for and uptake high impact health interventions with the goal of increased local ownership, accountability, effective management of resources, and increased private sector engagement.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) supports the Chief of Party (COP) in the provision of leadership and oversight for the project. S/he should have operational expertise and experience, strong public health experience, a solid professional reputation, interpersonal skills and professional relationships to fulfill the requirements of the activity descriptions. The position will be based in Lilongwe with travel to other provinces as needed.
- Provide leadership and quality assurance in all aspects of program management to ensure the program achieves targets and aim in integrated health capacity strengthening activity implementation
- Manage the development and implementation of work plans; ensure appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations; coordinate partner efforts in program implementation; ensure accurate program monitoring and reporting; lead a program management team focused on quality and timely implementation.
- Deputize for the COP to provide overall vision and leadership for the project and, when requested, serve as the project’s representative to USAID/Malawi, Ministry of Health and provincial and district health offices, other donors and institutions, technical agencies and other participating organizations as required.
- Oversee the development, execution and ongoing management of subawards, including organizational capacity efforts to strengthen local partners.
- Work with monitoring and evaluation (M&E) staff, review ongoing assessments of program progress, including quarterly reports and results of M&E exercises to determine if programs are meeting technical targets and goals. Work with staff and partners to make activity modifications, based on these assessments.
- Ensure availability of technical resources in planning, implementing, and evaluating program activities.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with other USAID/Malawi implementing partners to reach a common understanding of the activity, avoid duplication, strengthen and supplement USAID/Malawi programs.
- Liaise with and get support from FHI 360’s Country Office or Regional Office located in Pretoria, South Africa on operational and financial issue.
- A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, economics, Public Health, health policy and management with technical expertise integrated health including (maternal, newborn, or child health, family planning, malaria or water and sanitation. Master’s degree or higher preferred;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience managing grants or contracts for international NGOs, private sector, universities or other organizations with similar scopes of work or a Bachelors’ degree with 9 years of experience;
- Experience working with USG supported projects and knowledge of financial rules and regulations at a senior level;
- Experience and knowledge of the challenges, approaches and solutions to effective organizational and technical capacity development in public, private and non-governmental sectors;
- Experience in working with decentralized health structures and committees such as DHSS, DEC and DHMT
- Strong knowledge of Malawi health systems
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English;
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple partners on collaborative projects;
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff and decentralized field offices; and
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with senior Government personnel, international organizations, NGO partners, host country governments, and U.S. Government Agencies.
Availability of position is contingent upon funding and approval of key personnel.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package , professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
To apply for this job please visit fhi.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com .