Open Mapping Hub – Eastern-Southern Africa · Remote, Flexible
- Work Location: Remote, within Eastern & Southern Africa Region
- Application Close Date: November 7, 2021
- Estimated Start date: December 15, 2021
- Department: Eastern & Southern Africa Regional Hub
- Reports to: Eastern & Southern Africa Regional Director (line manager) & Disaster Services/ Technology Team (functional support)
- Terms: Full time, one year initial contract(subject to renewal)
- Travel: Up to 40%, including the ESA hub’s priority countries in the region
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) sits at the nexus of participatory mapping, community-led development, humanitarian response, open data and tech. With a talented and diverse team spread around the globe, HOT is an NGO which supports a dynamic global community of thousands of dedicated volunteers using maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. Working with humanitarian and development partners like the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, UN agencies, governments and others, the HOT community maps in solidarity with those affected by or at risk of disaster, contributing the maps and data aid workers need to do their lifesaving work.
In 2020 the work of the HOT community was recognized by TED’s Audacious Project, a collaborative philanthropic initiative that serves as a springboard for social impact on a grand scale, leading to an exciting new phase of growth. HOT is expanding its activities: opening four regional hubs and scaling up its support to local mapping communities with the audacious goal of mapping an area home to one billion people in 94 countries at high risk of disasters or experiencing poverty – mapping with communities before they are in crisis.
About the Open Mapping Hub-Eastern & Southern Africa (ESA-Hub)
The goal of the hub is to foster social innovation and entrepreneurship within the OpenStreetMap Ecosystem in the region in order to improve the lives of communities in a real and significant way; create diverse, vibrant and sustainable Open Mapping Communities and organisations in the region; ensure human capacity development on OpenStreetMap Skills in the region and enhance collaboration between OpenStreetMap Contributors and data users across government, humanitarian and development agencies in the region. We work in 25 countries across the Eastern & Southern Africa region.
About the Role
The data quality Sr. Associate will coordinate and collaborate with cross functional teams across the Hub and the wider HOT global technology and community teams. The Sr. Associate will be responsible for designing, developing, documenting and performing data quality checks across all datasets collected through HOT technology, projects, programs, products and community lead activities in the Eastern and Southern Africa Region. This will in turn ensure high quality OpenStreetMap data in the region, grow validation skills of OSM contributors in the humanitarian mapping community and advance sustainable development goals in the region.
- Optimize the efficiency and quality of data collected through the Open Mapping Hub communities and partners in the region.
- Development and implementation of data quality and validation strategy for the ESA Hub in collaboration with relevant HOT teams.
- Identify quality assurance and validation needs of mapping communities and partners in the region
- Provide input into Tasking Manager and tools related to quality assurance/control and data quality development in coordination with the HOT technology team
- Lead training and coordination of validation activities across the 23 hub priority countries
- Grow the scope, quality and completeness of data collection across all Tasking Manager projects, Microgrants and projects in the region.
- Standardize project metadata, and liaise with Hub Staff on creating high quality mapping projects and following through on data validation.
- Provide early warning and escalation on significant data quality issues in coordination with hub staff and HOT global teams
- Develop and publish training materials on OSM data quality to improve skills and knowledge in the region.
- Have 5+ years of software quality assurance experience.
- Have demonstrated experience with OpenStreetMap data validation and quality checks using tools such as QGIS, JOSM, OSMCha, MapRoulette, and others
- Enjoy working remotely, in an agile environment and with opportunities to travel to project sites e.g. in any of the 23 hub priority countries
- Have experience in writing clear test plans, test cases and providing detailed feedback for process improvement
- Are a Self-starter able to make an impact with little guidance; this is an inaugural role within the hub
- Are fluent in written and spoken English and in one or more languages within the Eastern & Southern Africa Region
- Have effective communication skills with an ability to explain technical concepts to developers, product leads and communities/end users
- Want to drive the use of open data in Eastern & Southern Africa to improve lives in a real and significant way
- Thrive working as part of a distributed team with a flexible schedule
- Have strong knowledge of software quality assurance methodologies, tools and processes
Are you missing a few of the technical skills listed? We would still like to see your application. While the skills above fit our vision of this role, we are open to those candidates with a strong knowledge foundation that are fast learners and highly motivated to close any skill gaps.
HOT values transparency and equity. All HOT compensation globally is set according to a framework detailed on our website. HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, a variety of health care options, retirement savings plans, and 24 days of annual leave for full-time employees, in addition to 12 paid holidays.