The Data Analyst will provide support in primary and secondary data analyses for ongoing projects, especially in the Population Dynamics, the Demographic Dividend, and the Health and Wellbeing thematic areas. In addition, the fellow will work with other staff to interpret, translate and summarise key findings from projects for non-technical audiences, including policy makers. The fellow will be assigned to work with a thematic area(s) and project(s) based on their skills and will contribute to other tasks as may be required by Institute. The fellow is expected to contribute to the realisation of AFIDEP’s strategic objectives and priority areas which are aligned to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the African Union’s Agenda 2063.
- Interpret proposals for secondary data analysis into data analyses plans
- Download and prepare data for analysis (e.g. DHS, MICS, or PMA data)
- Create derived variables and conduct statistical analyses
- Present analyses and interpret the results
- Create research summaries for non-statistician audience
Skills and Experience
Items indicated with an asterisk (*) are required
- Strong quantitative and qualitative data analysis background, including proficiency using statistical packages such as STATA, SPSS, SAS, or R*
- Excellent writing skills, with experience translating technical information into accessible language, as evidenced by writing reports, summaries, or other materials*
- Experience in data visualisation with tools such as Excel, Tableau, or Hive to illustrate results and trends in dashboards or graphics*
- Master’s degree in statistics, economics, mathematics, or other social science field
- Experience interpreting data and making recommendations based on results
- Experience developing or managing tools for data collection or monitoring (i.e. surveys, interviews, or focus groups)
- Demonstrates analytical and critical thinking
- Demonstrates sound judgment
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, results-oriented, accountable, and attentive to detail
- Demonstrates persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to work under pressure
About the Organization
Established in 2010, the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is an African-led, non-profit research and policy institute. Its mission is to promote the development and institutionalization of a culture of evidence utilization in the public sector, and to bridge the gaps between research, policy, and practice in development efforts in Africa. We contribute to the realisation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by enabling the use of evidence in the formulation of development policies and programmes. To do this, we undertake activities in three areas: 1) enabling governments and other stakeholders to address individual, institutional, and systemic barriers to the use of evidence in decision-making; 2) translating evidence and promoting its utilization in decision-making; and 3) strengthening the capacity of researchers and knowledge intermediaries in evidence translation and policy engagement. In our current strategic plan (2020-2024), we focus on providing support to governments and other partners in five priority areas: (i) population dynamics and demographic dividend (ii) health and wellbeing (iii) transformative education and skills development (iv) environment and climate change and (v) governance and accountability.
To apply for this job please visit ghcorps.org .