About Evidence Action
Our organization was founded in 2013 to address a big gap in the fight against global poverty–many of the most promising interventions are either implemented at a very small scale, or not at all. We set out to address this gap by building programs that would scale evidence-based and cost-effective interventions, leading to significant improvements in quality of life for hundreds of millions of people. Our model worked. In less than a decade, our two flagship programs, the Deworm the World Initiative and Dispensers for Safe Water, have grown to measurably impact over 280 million people each year. This success is achieved through the dedication and talent of our staff, the hard work of our partners, and the commitment of our supporters.
By 2024, we seek to double our impact. We are strengthening and expanding our existing programs, and working to identify a new generation of evidence-based and cost-effective interventions that we can scale to reach millions more.
The Country Manager, Dispenser for Safe Water Malawi, will be responsible for all aspects of Dispensers for Safe Water program implementation. S/he will refine and implement the program model, with a strong focus on evidence-based decision-making, cost-effectiveness, and Evidence Action values. In summary, the holder of the position will ensure delivery of a high quality program in Malawi, including managing and coordinating with internal and external stakeholders (including health officers, government officials, and leaders of potential partner organizations).
The holder of the position will be a key member of the Africa Regional leadership team. S/he will therefore contribute to setting of regional objectives and priorities. S/he will also ensure compliance with organization operational policies in Malawi. This person will also provide leadership on potential future Evidence Action projects in Malawi.
**This position is open to Malawian Nationals
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead program activities including field operations, research/evaluation, information systems, and support functions in Malawi
- Create and strengthen program delivery systems to ensure high quality implementation and service delivery
- Coordinate with the team to ensure that program monitoring results and insights are used to improve or sustain program performance
- Coordinate closely with District level government health officials (Health Service Assistants and their supervisors) to identify and troubleshoot challenges that might affect the quality of the program
- Devise evidence-based and cost-effective ways of motivating HSAs and dispenser promoters responsible for each waterpoint
- Generally, promote the culture of cost-effectiveness within the program
- Prepare and manage annual program implementation budget of about , including reviewing monthly financial reports to adjust plans as necessary to stay on-budget.
- Support the regional and in-country procurement department in all procurement processes, including participating in the procurement and tendering committee decisions, in accordance with Procurement Policies.
- Directly provide supervision, guidance, and support to the program implementation team, developing team members into future leaders of the program and motivating them to achieve the program’s goals
- Provide in-country oversight of staff in support departments (including Finance and Administration; Human Resources; Monitoring, Learning, and Information Systems – MLE, etc.)
- Lead and live Evidence Action values, and champion a positive organization culture in Malawi
- Work with the HR department to lead performance management and professional development of Malawi Program staff
- Provide a friendly and conducive working environment for staff to maximize their productivity
Regional Coordination and Policy compliance
- Closely coordinate with the Regional office in Nairobi, especially with regard to operations (finance, procurement, HR) functions/support
- Contribute to and ensure compliance with all organizational policies in Malawi, including those of HR, Finance, Procurement, IT, etc.
- Function as the secretary for the Evidence Action Malawi Board.
- Periodically travel to the regional office for internal and external meetings
- Responsible for cultivating and managing partnerships with government (at national and local levels) and other organizations as Evidence Action lead in Malawi
- With guidance from the Deputy Director, Programs meaningfully contribute towards program fundraising efforts – including providing inputs towards donor proposals, participating in donor forums, and supporting on-going donor reporting, among others
- Support Evidence Action Accelerator projects in Malawi, if any
- Contribute to setting program-wide research and development priorities
- Provide support to other Evidence Action initiatives, including those outside of Malawi, as needed
Key performance Indicators
- Program performance: Maintain program adoption rate of 70%+
- Quality of program delivery: i) achieve and maintain dispenser functionality rate of 90%+, and ii) achieve and maintain chlorine outage rates of <10%
- Operations: Ensure compliance with all program policies, including those of HR, Finance, IT, MLE, Staff safety, etc.
- Improve and/or maintain excellent working relationships with government and other relevant development stakeholders
- Minimum 5 years’ program management experience. Experience working in the water sector desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree from a reputable university. Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent people management skills, inclusive of internal and external stakeholders; able to work effectively in a “matrixed” environment; able to manage and work with a multi-cultural team.
- Experience leading scale-focused work with a major operations component – building systems, bringing together organization functions, and developing teams with the ability to reach millions of people
- Experience working with partners and nuanced understanding of the opportunities and challenges of government and partner relationships
- Strong belief in the importance of evidence-based decision making; critical, analytical and process-oriented thinker
- Demonstrated success in forging relationships with senior government officials and engaging in policy decisions and partnership building
- Inspired by our mission of cost-effectively bringing safe water and other evidence-based programs to millions of Malawians
- Track record of being a good steward of program funding and responsibly managing resources, alignment with our philosophy of building a cost-effective program
- An entrepreneurial spirit – the ability to lead in a fast-moving start-up environment
- Unimpeachable integrity – fair, honest, and aligned with the values of Evidence Action
- Willingness to spend 50% of the time in the field in rural Malawi
- Sense of humor
This position will be based in Lilongwe but will involve close management of program operations in Southern Malawi (with room for other future geographies) as well as coordination with the Africa Regional office in Nairobi.
Area Coordinator, Program Implementation
Administratively manage staff on support/functional departments (HR, MLE, Finance and Administration) in Malawi
Equal Opportunity Statement
Evidence Action does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
To apply for this job please visit evidenceaction.bamboohr.com .