This is a global NGO in the HIV / AIDS space.
1 year fixed term contract
The Country Director (CD) will strategically lead the development and day-to-day implementation of the organisation’s programme in Malawi with the support of a multi-disciplinary in-country team, ensuring alignment to the strategic plan and organizational direction as well as country strategy. To ensure quality programming and organisational success, the CD will collaborate with and draw on resources from the Head Office Departments of Finance, Human Resources, Programmes and Technical Support, Communications, Business Development, Operations, and Strategic Information. The CD will represent the organisation in Malawi and be responsible for growing and maintaining relationships with current, former and new funders and key stakeholders, such as the Ministry of Health. The position is based in Lilongwe, Malawi reporting to the Senior Portfolio lead at Head Office.
Departmental Structure/Reporting Relationships
(Reflect positions above, below and at the same level as the position being described)
(Minimum education, qualifications, legal requirements, knowledge, languages, previous work experience, skills, on the job training and competencies required to perform the job)
Qualifications and experience
· Masters’ degree in Public Health or relevant field
· Minimum of 10 years’ experience in evidenced-based programming, project management, strategic planning and capacity building, ideally in public health, HIV and/or international development
· Programming experience and technical competence in HIV/AIDS, PMTCT, RMNCH and/or ECD
· At least five years in a senior management position, supervising senior staff, in an international or intercultural environment at the national/country level
· Demonstrated success in organizational representation, fund development, donor and partner relationship management
· Experience with public health, government relations, the donor and national leadership context, and systems and processes in Malawi
· Demonstrated experience developing project workplans and writing quality donor reports
· Demonstrated success in organisational representation, fund development, donor and partner relationship management
- Experience in line managing senior staff
- Experience implementing and managing USAID/CDC/PEPFAR and other bi- and multi-lateral funded programmes
· Fluency in English essential
· Working knowledge of Chichewa an asset
· Excellent leadership skills, including the ability to translate organizational vision into concrete action
· Advanced skills in strategic and analytical thinking, problem-solving, decision-making and negotiation
· Demonstrated writing ability
· Strong financial management skills and ability to link finance and programmes
· Experience with managing diverse teams across both programmes and operations
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to conduct relationships with senior level managers, government officials and public health leaders
· Determination and resourcefulness
· High level of computer literacy (MS Office Suite)
· A passion for the company’s vision and mission
(Important/essential relationships which need to be developed and maintained)
- Management team and team in country
· Works across all organisational departments (such as Finance, Communications, HR, Business Development/Fundraising) and with other CDs
- Works directly with key employees at HO such as DPTS for innovation, growth, and technical implementation, Operations for day-to-day management, and other departments as needed
- Government of Malawi representatives at national, regional, and district levels
- Partner organizations, donors, potential funders, and other key stakeholders at national and regional levels
- Technical Working Groups and other national fora
(If applicable make mention of the fact that the incumbent will be required to travel locally and/or internationally, work regular overtime and/or during weekends, etc.)
· Ability to travel throughout the country to support programme implementation
· Ability to travel internationally as required
- Working over weekends and overtime is required to meet organizational goals
Description of Tasks / Key Performance Areas
(Please state the percentage of time spent on each KPA)
Leadership and Management organisation in Malawi (20%)
- Lead the development, implementation and review of country operational plans, including annual workplan and budget, aligned to the organisation’s strategic plan.
- Facilitate the employment, development, and performance management of in-country staff, improving organizational, team, and individual performance while promoting teamwork and the values, mission, vision and culture at all levels.
- Build, maintain and manage effective and efficient organisational operating systems to support programme service delivery such as finance, administration, IT, and HR. Ensure the sound development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of all country-level operating systems, policies and procedures.
- Ensure the effective use of financial resources at all levels (including the utilisation of budget tracking, expenditure analysis, and forecasting) to support programme service delivery, holding fiduciary responsibility for the Malawi entity.
- Manage Malawi Senior Management Team, including senior individuals across Programmes, Finance, Operations, and HR.
Programme Delivery (20%)
- Ensure all projects are implemented so that targets are reached and budgets are maintained.
- Lead the design, implementation, and expansion of the programme activities in Malawi, including strategic innovations related to scaling up of geographical and technical scope, aligned to donor, MOH,
- Steward quality improvement processes; in conjunction with the Programme Director, support internal BIO and CQI analysis and follow-up actions.
- Manage ongoing expansion of current programming and oversee quality implementation of existing programme services through programmatic assessment and evaluation.
- Lead and provide technical oversight of the implementation, monitoring, and expansion of project activities model.
- Ensure quality program implementation. Oversee monthly analysis of supportive supervision results and other technical assessments; work with Malawi team to identify quality improvement priorities, capacity building and training needs, and develop capacity building and implementation plans to address gaps.
- Engage Head Office technical and M&E staff to provide technical oversight and guidance into project implementation
- Conduct supportive supervision as required to monitor site-level service delivery; support site-level QI processes as needed.
Stakeholder Relations and Engagement (25%)
- Represent the organisation with international, national, and regional stakeholders, partners, government, and donors in promotion of the organisation’s strategic objectives.
- Ensure active involvement in key national processes, including technical working groups and key conferences and meetings.
- Conduct outreach to new donors and participate introductory calls and meetings to foster relationships, build partnerships, and generate financial commitments.
- Provide country intelligence and insight to resource mobilization team to inform planning and proposal development led by SA, UK, and US on an ad hoc basis and through regular calls with fundraising teams.
- Manage and continually add to the Country Sustainability and Expansion Plan (CSEP).
- Foster close working relationships with MOH and partner organizations to ensure harmonized efforts and coordination of project activities.
- Manage relationships with donors and serve as the liaison to senior leaders in partner organisations.
Business Development and Resource Mobilization (25%)
- Participate in all business development efforts, including identifying opportunities, designing interventions, creating bid teams, reviewing narratives and budgets, and serving as key personnel.
- Write proposal components, as needed.
- Represent at in-person or virtual meetings on new bids and opportunities.
- Identify and suggest business development opportunities.
- Create workplans, logic models, and internal “Design Matters” template for all proposals being developed.
- Support Finance Business Partner, Pricing Analysis, and Country Finance Manager in budget development for all bids.
- Ensure harmonization of existing awards and new awards, both programmatically and operationally.
- Ensure the timely submission of high-quality donor reports, record-keeping, and compliance to all relevant donor requirements.
- Hold responsibility for corporate governance for Malawi ensuring compliance with all legal requirements.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com .