Save the Children is inviting applications from suitably qualified personnel to fill the position of Community Development Officer (1 position) for SoSuRe Project to be based in Zomba. The Position holder will be responsible for providing technical leadership and implementation of SCI SOSuRe FUTURE Project in Zomba especially in the aspect of nutrition, economic empowerment and gender.. The role will require a high level of resilience in a dynamic environment; mature leadership skills; focus combined with flexibility; horizontal cooperation and vertical stakeholder collaboration and networking, high level of initiative and multi-tasking ability; and excellent skills in relevant. The suitable candidate should be able to understand the scope of the role and set priorities within one month of taking up the job; and start delivering on key performance targets within three months.
The overall objective of Social Support for Resilience Program for Food and Nutrition for Resilience (SoSuRe FUTURE) is to reduce poverty through enhancing resilience among the most vulnerable households in Malawi. The specific objective of the action is increased resilience to climate change and other shocks, including COVID-19, for 29,566 households in Mulanje and Zomba districts. Save the Children will implementing the action in Zomba district. The aim is to contribute the three key result areas as follows:- Result 1: Increased and more resilient incomes and equitable access to markets, Result 2: Enhanced food security and nutrition with improved reforestation, biodiversity and soil conservation, and Result 3: Strengthened capacity of systems/structures and stakeholders to undertake inclusive policy advocacy at community, district and national level.
SOSURE is a follow on project from PROACT and is targeting the same national social cash transfer beneficiaries that it worked with for the past 3years.
Key roles for this position will include facilitation and promotion of village savings and loans (VSLs), building entrepreneurship skills, strengthening existing cooperatives and marketing groups/ associations and promotion of high value crops. The role supports gender mainstreaming in relation to climate change shocks by supporting women participation in markets, improving identification of malnutrition with community managed response and improving coordination and communication among various structures.
The role will require a high level of commitment to serve the people in the remote communities and provision of skill that will assist them to be resilience to climate related shocks in their communities. The suitable candidate should be able to understand the scope of the role and set priorities within one month of taking up the job; and start delivering on key performance targets within three months. The post holder will work closely with the Ministry of Agriculture and Food security, Community Development, Health, Local Government, other INGOs implementing similar programs to ensure coordination, lesson learning and knowledge sharing.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
- At least a degree level qualification in Agriculture, Nutrition, Social Science, Rural Development, Development studies or any other relevant field.
- Have at least 3 years of experience in Community Development roles.
- Strong understanding and experience in implementing Economic empowerment initiatives including VSLs and Marketing
- Strong knowledge and experience in implementing community Health & Nutrition activities
- Strong knowledge and experience in gender programming and rural development.
- Experience of delivering training to district and community based staffs
- Experience in working with various community structures like ADCs, VDC and others.
- Experience in working with local NGO partners.
- Result-oriented, able to set priorities and meet deadlines within a dynamic environment
- Mature and able to function well within flat management structures with extensive consultation and horizontal collaboration.
- Strong leadership skills including ability to influence a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- A good understanding of best practice techniques for achieving and sustaining community engagement
- Strong respect and empathy for rural communities, and an affinity to SCI mission and values.
- Ability to work as part of field team and successfully join up work with partner staff
- Good command of English (written and verbal)
- Valid Malawian motorcycle driving license and willingness to travel to the field on a motorbike
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Date advertised: 11 May 2021
Closing date: 19 May 2021 – 23:59 CAT
Location: Zomba, Malawi
Department: Programme Operations
Type: Fixed-term contract
To apply for this job please visit malawi.savethechildren.net .