Job title Communications Officer
Reporting to DRR Programme Manager (primary), Head of Mission (secondary)
Liaison with Programme partners
Locations Lilongwe (mainly) and geographical area covered by the programme
Starting date As soon as possible
COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale, is an Italian INGO operating in Malawi since 1999 in the fields of agriculture, food security and nutrition, DRR and Climate Change.
COOPI is currently implementing a program funded by ECHO, which aims to support the national COVID-19 Vaccine deployment.
Main purpose of job
COOPI is looking for a Communications Officer to be based in Lilongwe, Malawi. This is a 4-month fixed term contract, renewal is subject to availability of donor funding. The person will be responsible for:
- Supporting programme’s C4D activities in collaboration with programme partners;
- Supporting programme’s communications and visibility activities;
- Visiting Programme impact areas and attending events to document programme’s impact including case studies, in collaboration with Consortium partners;
- Facilitating the design and printing of information, education and communication materials;
- Support capacity building of staff and partners in media and communications related issues;
- Liaising with the media and facilitating the designing and writing of news articles, press releases, etc.;
- Develop innovative dissemination strategies for internal and external audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Designing and producing C4D as well as visibility materials for a wide variety of audiences in both English and Chichewa;
- Request/review/publish social media inputs from program officers and partners;
- Create and maintain a high-quality photo and video gallery to promote COOPI’s work and mission;
- Develop and conduct communications trainings for COOPI and partners’ programme staff;
- Coordinate and collaborate with programme manager and partners’ focal points effectively;
- Follow COOPI and ECHO visibility guidelines and regulations, whilst also ensuring that COOPI staff and partners follow these regulations;
- Identify new communication platforms and ideas;
- Collaborate with the M&E team on identifying and fulfilling gaps in visibility;
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts with different media outlets (newspapers, TV, radio…);
- Draft press releases, media briefs, talking points and speeches;
- Generate high quality written content, including op-eds and human-interest stories covering a breadth of COOPI work in Malawi;
- Organize and conduct field visits to gather strong and relevant content from COOPI programmes, in collaboration with the Programme staff and partners
- Perform other tasks as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following features:
- Previous experience with ECHO-funded programs and knowledge of ECHO visibility guidelines;
- Previous experience developing communication tools, messages and materials focused on health;
- Graphic design, photography and videography experience a plus;
- High degree of personal initiative and a ‘can-do’ attitude;
- Drive to achieve results;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to relate with people at different levels;
- Excellent English and Chichewa writing and spoken skills;
- Ability to think strategically, innovatively and practically to improve quality of communications;
- Strong organizational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritize work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision;
- Ability to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow through;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English;
- Excellent desktop publishing skills;
- Excellent knowledge of the Malawian context and policy/political environment and issues
- Knowledge of Malawi in terms of its political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues in the region.
- Strong media experience and ability to develop and/or build on organizational networks and associations
- Good experience of media techniques in the development context and sound understanding of the possibilities and tactics for influencing through the media.
Qualifications and experience
Education : Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Information, Public Relations or related fields.
Job experience: Minimum 5 years of relevant experience working in media, journalism, advocacy, communications and marketing, or in closely related external relations contexts.
- Outstanding article-writing and editing skills.
- Social media skills.
- Developed understanding of needs of media and public audiences, preferably with NGO relevant approach.
Languages : Proficiency in both Chichewa and English is required.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants must send their most recent CV (max 2 pages), cover letter (max 1 page) and contact information of 3 professional references to [email protected] . Subject line must read: Communication Officer, COOPI Lilongwe
Interested candidates must not submit any other documentation or certificate, as this will invalidate their candidacy.
Deadline for applications is September 17, 2021 17.00 CAT .
- Applications not adhering strictly to the Application instructions, not meeting the specified minimum requirements o received after closing date will not be considered.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview that may include a written test of communication and writing skills.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply
- All activities must be implemented in a Covid-19 safe manner, respecting social distancing rules, relevant hygiene rules, respecting all relevant, frequently changing, government regulations regarding Covid-19 prevention.
- For personal safety, safety of colleagues and beneficiaries we are working with, Covid-19 vaccination is highly recommended.
- The selected candidate will be required to sign COOPI’s Code of Ethics, and Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse.