Catholic Relief Services began working in Malawi in 1997. In a country affected by regular shocks – droughts, floods and chronic food insecurity, CRS Malawi has implemented programs to improve agriculture livelihoods in rural areas, support vulnerable children orphaned by the HIV epidemic and to strengthen community systems for nutrition and early-childhood development programs. The country program has enjoyed a diverse portfolio of public and private donors and strong partnerships with the Catholic Church and Government Ministries.
CRS Malawi is dedicated to sustainable outcomes of development work by strengthening local institutions and linkages with the private sector.
CRS Lesotho plans and coordinates programs in three of Lesotho’s four dioceses, working with a large range of Church and local NGO partners. Our current work in Lesotho focuses on OVCs and HIV, agricultural livelihoods, cl imate change and natural resource management, emergency response, and education. CRS/Lesotho’s principal donors currently are PEPFAR/USAID, GIZ, UNICEF and UNDP. However, the program is pursing new initiatives with other donors.
CRS has a long historical presence is South Africa working in strong collaboration with local partners which includes the national Church, other faith-based and secular organizations. Current programming focuses on HIV epidemic control through strong community-based programming. The current portfolio is depended on CDC funding and is actively working to diversify.
The Business Development Specialist will be based in the Malawi country program and will support the Lesotho and South Africa country programs both remotely and through visits as needed. The Specialist will also coordinate closely with the CRS’ Southern Africa team and CRS’ global BD (Business Development) community, providing direct support to strategic growth oppor tunities as well as helping to strengthen BD-related systems, processes, relationships and staff capacities in Malawi, Lesotho and South Africa.
This is an exciting and dynamic post for an experienced Business Development professional with the drive to represent and lead CRS programming transformation and growth.
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong communications and presentation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
Required/Desired Foreign Language
Travel Required (include percentage of required travel, if applicable) 25% LOE for Lesotho/South Africa including 10 – 15% travel to Lesotho/South Africa and 10% travel within Malawi.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal – Country Representative, Heads of Programs, programming and finance staff, Regional and HQ BD Advisors
External – Donors, partners, research institutions, NGOs, peer BD community, government, private sector partners, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, international relations, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of international development experience, with at least three years’ experience in a developing country.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position his/her organization for new funding and productive institutional relationships.
- Exceptional writer with expert command of English grammar and AP style.
- Demonstrated experience leading and producing competitive proposals in programming contexts similar to CRS.
- Comprehensive familiarity with a broad range of institutional donor technical and cost requirements.
- Experience with both USAID/CDC RFP and RFA funding mechanisms highly desirable.
- Familiarity with relevant institutional donor regulations, policies, procedures and priorities.
- Demonstrated experience managing teams and processes, leading teams to produce deliverables under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
- Knowledge of CRS programs, justice agenda and Catholic Social Teaching principles a plus.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Continuous Improvement & Innovation
· Builds Relationships
· Develops Talent
· Strategic Mindset
· Accountability & Stewardship
* Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm.
CRS welcomes candidates from the countries and regions in which we work. In the event the successful candidate is an expatriate or global telecommuter, the anticipated duration of the assignment is informed by a term limit, based on the type and level of the job and the needs of the agency.
*CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer *
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.