The Business Development Specialist will be based in the Malawi country program and will support the Lesotho and South Africa country programs both remotely and through visits as needed. The Specialist will also coordinate closely with the CRS’ Southern Africa team and CRS’ global BD (Business Development) community, providing direct support to strategic growth opportunities as well as helping to strengthen BD-related systems, processes, relationships and staff capacities in Malawi, Lesotho and South Africa.
The BD Specialist will maintain CRS’ competitive positioning for and pursuit of institutional donor resources, with an emphasis on competitive funding mechanisms, through representation and leadership in all the designated countries. He/she will define, monitor and update the business pipeline and ensure that CRS is best positioned to pursue relevant opportunities. With a core function of id entifying opportunities and leading the production of high quality applications for donor funding, this position will provide specialized assistance across the BD cycle:
- providing guidance and leadership for strategic growth planning
- leveraging CRS’ competitive position and program results to attract new funding
- managing functional teams to identify and capture funding opportunities
- incorporating best practices into growth-related business processes and proposals
- establishing and/or maintaining positive, respectful and fruitful relationships with current and prospective donors
- developing/managing strategic alliances and/or coalitions with other organizations
- monitoring donor trends, including corporate and other non-traditional sources
- identifying and fortifying CRS’ competitive advantages in the designated countries which would be utilized to better position CRS for accessing available funding
The BD Specialist will train and mentor staff to improve their skills in proposal development, representation to donor and partner organizations, intelligence-gathering, and marketing, including the production of well-developed, polished English marketing materials for external donors. He/she will support CRS with marketing events, communication pieces for stakeholders in coordination with the CR (Country Representative), HOPs (Heads of Programs) and Program Managers, to enhance visibility and serve external information needs.
Other roles include: working closely with the Regional BD Manager and other BD colleagues around the region on planning, intelligence gathering, sharing lessons learned, and pursuing opportunities; ensuring that high-quality studies, research components, and documenting of innovations are completed and presented to donors and other interested audiences; ensuring reports and responses to donors are of high quality, in the correct format and respo nding to donor requirements; and managing the project development budget.
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong communications and presentation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
Required/Desired Foreign Language
Travel Required (include percentage of required travel, if applicable) 25% LOE for Lesotho/South Africa including 10 – 15% travel to Lesotho/South Africa and 10% travel within Malawi.
Key Working Relationships:
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, international relations, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of international development experience, with at least three years’ experience in a developing country.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position his/her organization for new funding and productive institutional relationships.
- Exceptional writer with expert command of English grammar and AP style.
- Demonstrated experience leading and producing competitive proposals in programming contexts similar to CRS.
- Comprehensive familiarity with a broad range of institutional donor technical and cost requirements.
- Experience with both USAID/CDC RFP and RFA funding mechanisms highly desirable.
- Familiarity with relevant institutional donor regulations, policies, procedures and priorities.
- Demonstrated experience managing teams and processes, leading teams to produce deliverables under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
- Knowledge of CRS programs, justice agenda and Catholic Social Teaching principles a plus.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Continuous Improvement & Innovation
· Builds Relationships
· Develops Talent
· Strategic Mindset
· Accountability & Stewardship
* Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre -employment medical examination.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm.
CRS welcomes candidates from the countries and regions in which we work. In the event the successful candidate is an expatriate or global telecommuter, the anticipated duration of the assignment is informed by a term limit, based on the type and level of the job and the needs of the agency.
*CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer *
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.