GH-TAMS is recruiting candidates to consider for an upcoming Acting HPN Office Director assignment for USAID Malawi. The position is five and one-half months long and begins in early March. Location is in Malawi. Level of effort is 120 days.
The Health, Population, and Nutrition (HPN) Office is the largest office in the mission, managing a complex portfolio of HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, maternal and child health, family planning, nutrition, water, sanitation and hygiene, COVID, and health systems activities. The HPN Office manages an approximately $140 million dollar (annual) health portfolio in support of several Presidential Initiatives, including PEPFAR, PMI, and Feed the Future. To ensure effective management of foreign assistance resources and programs, the HPN Office employs 51 staff, including 3 FSOs, 38 Cooperating Country Nationals (CCNs), 8 US/Third Country National Personal Services Contractors, 1 STAR Fellow, and 1 seconded staff from the CDC. This team currently manages the mission’s three Government-to-Government awards in addition to 13 awards to local organizations.
Role and Responsibilities
The consultant will provide coverage for the Health, Population, and Nutrition Office Director while she is on maternity leave. S/he will oversee an office of 50 people, who are managing an annual budget of $140mil. The HPN Office implements programs in MCH, FP, Nutrition, WASH, HIV, TB, Malaria and COVID. S/he will directly supervise two FSN Deputy Office Directors, the acting HIV Division Chief, the Deputy HIV Division Chief, the PMI Resident Advisor and the Family Health/HSS Division Chief. S/he will advise the Mission Director and Embassy on health-related matters. S/he will serve on the mission’s senior staff team and as the agency lead on the interagency PEPFAR team. With support from the HIV Division, the incumbent will lead COP22 negotiations and ensure timely submission of the FY23 MOP, FY22 OP, and FY22 TB Roadmap. S/he will also co-lead the interagency COVID Coordination Group. S/he will also provide oversight over HPN’s many awards to local partners and Government-to-Government awards, while ensuring a smooth transition of USAID/Malawi’s flagship health award to a new procurement. The incumbent may also help to on-board a new FSN Deputy Health Office Director.
? Lead weekly HPN management team meetings and meetings with the Front Office (every Monday).
? Represent HPN at weekly Senior Staff meetings and PEPFAR Management Team meetings and attend Country Team meeting
? Assist the HPN Office in completing PEPFAR COP22 planning
? Provide oversight and ensure completion of MOP23, OP22, and the TB Roadmap
? Coordinate USAID’s COVID response and support for vaccine deployment.
? (If needed) Coordinate preparation of ARPA funding proposal(s).
? Support HR actions to fill vacancies within the team.
? Ensure on-boarding of new staff.
? Oversee implementation of HPN’s G2G and awards to local partners.
? Coordinate with Development Objective Team Leads and other Technical Offices.
? Ensure smooth transition of ONSE to MOMENTUM.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in medicine, laboratory sciences, international public health, social sciences, health care development or other applicable related field.
- At least seven (7) years of progressive professional experience in designing, implementing, managing and monitoring large scale public health programs, including programs related to HIV epidemic control, is required.
- Experience working with USAID, USAID contractors, or other US government agencies, especially on PEPFAR.
- Strong management, mentoring, and supervision skills. Experience managing large, diverse teams with staff of varying degrees of capacity. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural setting.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills, particularly editing skills.
- Strong diplomacy skills and ability to work with senior-level officials within the US Government, the Government of Malawi, donor organizations, and private sector organizations.
To apply for this job please visit js-recruiting-14bb76f4ef1.secure.force.com .