Accounts Assistant – Commercialisation of the Chitetezo Mbaula – Phase 2 (Endev Commercial)
United Purpose (UP) Malawi is an international non-governmental organisation working to create opportunities for lasting improvement in peoples’ lives. We work in partnership with others to support a range of livelihoods and food security, WASH and health, sustainable energy and gender equality programmes reaching over 1,000,000 people a year across Malawi. Globally, we work in nine countries across Africa, Asia and South America, however our Malawi programme is by far and away our largest and most established country programme. UP currently operates in 17 districts in Malawi, supporting 24 on-going projects, and a team of 180.
Endev Commercial contributes towards the NDC and SEfor4All Action Agenda targets of 2 million biomass stoves by 2020, 3.5 million by 2025 and 5 million by 2030. The project works to support the commercial market, by strengthening the value chain, through the provision of distribution, marketing and sales support to the rural and urban Chitetezo Mbaula market in Blantyre, Thyolo, Phalombe, Mulanje and Mangochi districts of Southern Malawi
The Accounts Assistant is responsible for timely preparation of payments and monitoring of cash and bank balances to ensure there is adequate funds in the accounts for programme activities.
Reports to Finance Manager and Project Manager, no line reports.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Monitor the cash and bank balances by updating the manual cashbook of the applicable assigned bank accounts to avoid overdrafts.
- Process cheques, as well as funds transfers as advised and ensure timely delivery of funds transfer letters to the bank;
- Set the feasible payment dates for processing payments and staff or suppliers to be collecting cheques and ensure this is being adhered to.
- Where applicable maintain petty cash.
- Act as UP’s bank agent and follow up with the bank on any issues mainly to do with payments.
- Where necessary assist project staff in administering floats, liquidation of floats and ensuring proper funds are paid out and supported in accordance with UP finance policies and procedures.
- Review financial data for accuracy, completeness and integrity to ensure it is in line with UP and donor policies and procedures.
- Review payment vouchers to ensure they are well supported, correctly coded and approved as per the authority delegation framework; are duly supported by valid adequate and original documents; ensuring accuracy of computation and completeness of documents, and meets generally acceptable practices; in line with UP’s Finance internal policies and procedures as well as those of donors.
- Assist the finance Manager and Project Accountants with all other month end procedures.
- Understand UP and donor’s policies and procedures to be able to support new staff, nonfinance staff, in interpreting and implementing UP and donor’s finance policies and procedures.
- Assist Finance and non-finance staff by providing requested information needed for planning and budgeting.
- Assist Finance and audit staff by providing the correct documents required for audits and any other reviews.
- Support front desk service delivery
- Upholding UP Malawi safeguarding and well-being policy
- Minimum of a Diploma, Degree preferred, in the field of Accounting, business management and administration.
- At least some experience in working with a development or humanitarian organisation.
- High levels of integrity, honesty, but also a quick learner
- Good computer skills with ability to work with spreadsheets, accounting software packages
- Attention to detail and problem- solving skills
- Demonstrated understanding of safeguarding risks and mitigations.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn – open to learning new ways of doing things
- Professional attitude towards work
- Friendly, customer service orientation
How to apply:
Qualified and interested candidates who meets the stated requirements must submit a completed Application Form. Please note that CVs and cover letters will not be accepted.
Please visit http://united-purpose.org/s/Job-Application-Form.doc to download the Application Form, and then submit the completed form via email only to; [email protected]?purpose.org When submitting, please put YOUR NAME_ [POSITION APPLIED] in the email title and application form. Any applications that do not include this in the title will not be considered.
No hard copy / physical applications will be accepted. Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is Midnight of Friday, 3rd September, 2021. Only short listed candidates will be contacted .
United Purpose takes the safety and well-being of all those we work with, and our staff, very seriously. Our Safeguarding Policy reflects our commitment to protect the people we work with and for from harm. All candidates are expected to comply with this policy and take steps to support a safe and thriving culture at United Purpose. For more information about UP, please visit our website at www.united-purpose.org/malawi/ .
UP is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.