Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
We are looking for a program Accountant to be based in Lilongwe, Malawi.
This is a one year fixed term contract, renewal is subject to availability of funding.
The person should have right to work in Malawi.
The job purpose is ensure effective:
- data processing, reporting and financial management
- Implementation of partner accounting
- Reporting and monitoring systems
What we are looking for
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- First degree plus qualified and experienced accountant. Part-qualified accountant as minimum.
- Previous field experience with an NGO, as well as with institutional donors, such as USAID, EU and UN is of distinct advantage.
- Ability to prioritise own workload and work independently to deadlines with very minimal supervision.
- Comprehensive understanding of financial reporting, review and analysis.
- Good team work, management and liaison skills.
- Ability to work, train and coach staff with differing levels of skills. Grooming a specifically identified counterpart for a planned takeover, within specified time frame, is a must for this post.
- Computer literacy; full working knowledge of MS office suit and others. Knowledge of Oxfam processing and reporting systems and tools is an advantage.
- English is essential (Both written and spoken)
- Willingness to travel to provinces in Malawi.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies including demonstrable commitment to gender equality and equal opportunities in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
This role will give you an opportunity to make a difference in Malawi, to act as key contributor to the business support team, to work with a group of passionate people, opportunities in training and development, offers fair pay and competitive benefits package. This offer is based on national terms and conditions of service.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme . In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of international confederation of 19 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
In response to Covid-19 if you are offered a role where you are required to travel between countries please ensure you have been briefed by the Hiring Manager about any changes to working or precautions you should take as part of your role.